Joy bonnet remote?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Joy bonnet remote?

by ExtraE on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:06 am

Hey! I was thinking about using the joy bonnet and it's very attractive c&c case as a remote for a separate R-Pi hooked up to a monitor (projector, actually) over Bluetooth so I wouldn't have to run cables out of the Pi. I wouldn't be running RetroPi (my end goal) on the bonnet Pi, i would just be sending the "key presses"/button presses over Bluetooth to another Pi (this one running RetroPi and hooked up to the projector).

I see two problems here-- the first being that I have no idea how to setup the pi as a Bluetooth keyboard/device.

The second is that the pi still would need a power cable. I'd like to mount a (preferably rechargeable) battery in the pi case, but still want it to retain a similar form factor (perhaps a coin cell?).

Any help (especially with the first issue) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton,
E

P.s. Please forgive the autocorrect gremlins of any typos. They try their best, okay?

ExtraE

Re: Joy bonnet remote?

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:49 pm

Configuring a Pi Zero as a Bluetooth peripheral is still a work in progress IIRC. The general software framework is BluEZ, so check around for whatever information you can find on that. The project documentation is pretty sparse, but people who've worked with it tend to be help others.

A coin cell can't supply nearly enough power to run a RasPi, so you'll need a LiPo and a boost converter. For the Zero-W with no additional hardware, a PowerBoost 500C should probably work:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1944

You'd want at least a 1000mAh LiPo to go with it, and will probably get 4-5 hours of battery life per charge.

adafruit_support_mike

by markofzero on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:15 pm

I have also hoped to have the ability to use a pi zero w with the Joy Bonnet but without any wires by using Bluetooth.
This would be a great project for someone at Adafruit to tackle. :-)

markofzero

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:54 am

Gonna bounce that one right back to your side of the court, because it's kind of an important recurring issue.

The core of the Maker movement involves people working on things for themselves. We share information and help each other out, and sometimes one person's interest will be caught by an idea someone else throws out. But that stops abruptly when someone makes a statement of the form, "I want X, and someone should make it."

That isn't how it works. Makers allocate their time and attention like Bert from Mary Poppins: "I does what I likes, and I likes what I do."

Makers have no interest in being a free, on-demand, hardware-and-software development service, but there's no shortage of people who want to treat Makers that way. Watching people try to explain why they think that should even work stops being interesting quickly, so we shut down all such lines of conversation as soon as they crop up.

Within the Maker community, that kind of statement is considered rude.

adafruit_support_mike

by BeauSlim on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:57 pm

This is kind of related to something I'm working on, using a Zero W with an OLED bonnet as a password manager that outputs over USB OTG HID, extending the functionality found in the HardPass project.

Having it plugged in directly or via a cable is somewhat limiting, so I've looked at Bluetooth HID a bit, but haven't produced anything yet. The problem with Bluez is that it seems to have undergone some pretty significant changes over the last while, and much of the documentation out there is completely outdated. This _may_ be a starting point.

I noticed a python script for the JoyBonnet in Adafruit's Retrogame driver package, which seems to contain code for dealing with the analog joystick.

Hopefully all the hard parts are done and you just need to glue them together.

BeauSlim

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.