Adafruit Industries, Essential service and business: NYC – Executive Order 202.6 - Read more. Accepting essential orders - here's how.

Raspberry Pi camera not compatiple with Raspbery Pi Zero cas
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Raspberry Pi camera not compatiple with Raspbery Pi Zero cas

by piranha32 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Hello,

I have a big problem with official RPi camera mounted in the official RPi0 case, bought at Adafruit as a bundle with RPi0W (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3414)
Camera worked wine when I assembled the set before putting it in the case, but stopped working when mounted. I tried several times to reseat the flex cable, with identical results: everything works fine, until mounted in the case. Turns out that the camera lid is not compatible with the camera included in the bundle: the camera connector is too high, and pushes against the lid, disrupting the connection between the camera module and the board. It also prevents the camera board from sitting correctly in the case. Please see attached pictures for reference.
Is there a version of the lid which is compatible with the camera included in the bundle?

EDIT: It's not the connector. It's the camera module.
Attachments
my_photo-95.jpg
Board not sitting properly in the case
my_photo-95.jpg (32.64 KiB) Viewed 571 times
my_photo-94.jpg
Camera module connector pressing against the lid
my_photo-94.jpg (39.51 KiB) Viewed 571 times

piranha32

Re: Raspberry Pi camera not compatiple with Raspbery Pi Zero

by piranha32 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Update:
The problem seems to be caused by the foam pad used to affix the camera module to the board. It is ~1mm thick, and that's about as much the camera board is lifted off the case.
Unfortunately poor fit in the case is not the only problem caused by the foam pad. The pad is much smaller than the outline of the PCB in the back of the camera module. This caused the pad to press on the center of the board each time the camera board was installed in the case, what put stress on the component installed on the board inside of the module, and failure of the bonding. Now even a slight touch of the plastic module housing causes the camera to fail (see pic).
Attachments
Screenshot_20170903_142636.png
Screenshot_20170903_142636.png (39.17 KiB) Viewed 553 times

piranha32

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:11 am

That seems to be a rare tolerances issue with the cameras and cases. Sometimes you get a pair that just don't work together.

Send a note containing a link to this thread and your order number to support@adafruit.com. The folks there will get you a replacement camera module.

(#3099)

adafruit_support_mike

by piranha32 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:45 pm

I received the replacement camera board today, but it has exactly the same problem as the old one: the camera module is placed on a pad, which will damage the circuitry inside on the first attempt to mount the board in the case. I asked the support staff to verify that the new board is compatible with the case, but nobody did.
Attachments
damaged_raspi_cam.jpg
The source of the problem: Mounting pad under the damaged camera board
damaged_raspi_cam.jpg (57.38 KiB) Viewed 516 times
replacement_raspi_cam.jpg
Mounting pad under the camera module on the new board
replacement_raspi_cam.jpg (54.3 KiB) Viewed 516 times

piranha32

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:57 am

It would probably be best for you to take this information to the RasPi Foundation. They make both the camera and that case, and you might be among the first people to discover a change in their supply chain that's causing unintended problems.

If so, that's something they need to know.

Please post a description of the issue, and a link to this thread if you'd like, over in the RasPi Foundation forums:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

We'll be glad to abide by any decision they make, but at this point all we can do on our own is offer a refund.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.