Adafruit Pi Zero Case Too Tight
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adafruit Pi Zero Case Too Tight

by electronicgardner on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:50 pm

I received my Adabox 005 today (Order #1533442-1618310756), but unfortunately, the Pi Zero v. 1.3 and the case that came with it were not able to get along (Product ID: 2885 and 3252, respectively).

Once I decided to try and install the Pi Zero into the case, I quickly realized it was going to be a tight fit. Without forcing it, I looked up the product page on the Adafruit website and watched the corresponding New Products video from last December wherein Ladyada demonstrates the snap-in action of installing a Pi into the case. Certain I now had it right, I went back to trying to clip the Pi in. After a bit of finessing it, I was finally greeted by two things: 1. A Raspberry Pi Zero inside of its case, and 2. A broken camera connector latch. The corresponding edge of the case had sheered the latch right off.

Now, I have some experience with these FPC/FFC connectors, and I realize that they [the black latches] easily break off of the connectors on Raspberry Pis and all manner of PCBs all the time, but this was still a disappointment, given that I hadn't even opened the connector once. Furthermore, once I took a closer look, I discovered that on my case, it seemed like the dimensions might be off. When it's fully seated, there is simply not enough space between the edge of the Raspberry Pi with the connector, and the inner wall of the case. There was no way I could have gotten the Pi fully in or out of the case without breaking the latch. Perhaps this case is just outside of acceptable tolerances?

Anyway, my issue aside for a moment; If anyone reading this is going to get the Pi Zero Case, be careful with regards to the connector latch, especially if you are planning to use a camera module as well. Also know that regardless of whether your case is within tolerances or not, you cannot open and close the camera connector while the pi is inside of the case. Or at the very least you can't with mine. The hole isn't wide enough and/or the sidewall is too close.

So yeah, that was my (slightly annoying) experience. I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else!

electronicgardner

Re: Adafruit Pi Zero Case Too Tight

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:06 am

Post a photo looking down on the RasPi in the case please. Let's make sure the mounting holes in the PCB are lined up with the registration lugs in the bottom of the case.

800x600 images usually work best.

adafruit_support_mike

by electronicgardner on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:07 am

Here are a couple of images, including a view of the board in the case. Are the clearances here on either side of the Pi normal?
Attachments
broken_latch.jpg
Here is the latch. I measured the part that sticks out of the connector and off the edge of the board to be about 1.40 mm.
broken_latch.jpg (178.08 KiB) Viewed 883 times
pi_zero_in_case.jpg
Here is the Pi in its case, lined up with the lugs in the bottom. With calipers, it was hard to measure the gap on the right side where the camera connector is, but it seems to be around .5 mm wide. On the left side where the SD card slot is, the gap between the edge of the board and the sidewall of the case was about 2.00 mm.
pi_zero_in_case.jpg (418.37 KiB) Viewed 883 times

electronicgardner

by AllDayErrorDay on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:41 pm

I have a similar issue with the case in my Adabox 005, though thankfully it didn't snap off my camera connector.

In fact, I was able to get mine in just fine...but I'm definitely not getting it OUT without breaking something.
I have tried flexing the back (with the retaining tab), but then it catches on the alignment pins.
There is just no way to flex the case to get the back tab off without it catching on those.
If I flex the case so the pins release, the tab in the back snaps back into place again.

I wonder if the hammer headers are slightly taller than normal and are causing it to stick?
I had an awesome controller body for this 3D printed, but I decided to put it in the case to protect it while I set it up.
Now I am afraid I'll have to break the case to get the Zero out.

Also, I was a little disappointed there was no spacer included to bridge the gap between the bonnet and the case.
You clearly show the Pi/Bonnet being played as is, but with nothing bridging that gap, there's potentially a lot of stress on the 40 pin connector.
A piece of foam tape solved the problem for me, but I could easily see someone getting into a game and damaging the header (or worse, the bonnet) while playing.
Maybe a quick heads up in the instructions?

AllDayErrorDay

by yamex5 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:26 pm

electronicgardner wrote:Here are a couple of images, including a view of the board in the case. Are the clearances here on either side of the Pi normal?

I had the same issue noticing that the board did not lay flat on the four posts, and after carefully removing it twice, I also came to the conclusion that the latch was interfering with inserting the board. I decided that the latch was more of a problem and hacked it off.

yamex5

by cvadillo on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:19 pm

I also noticed that the only mechanical support for the joy bonnet are the connector pins. Using the bonnet to play may cause a lot of stress on the headers and I thought what to do to solve the problem. What I did is I took the little tab that you have to remove when you have the headers installed in your PiZero. You can put that under the front of the bonnet and create a very solid support for the pcb and removing stress for the pins. It is not the exact depth but is close enough. I used a dab of acrylic cement to make sure it stayed in place. See the pictures attached
261-rz.JPG
261-rz.JPG (122.92 KiB) Viewed 798 times

262-rz.JPG
262-rz.JPG (141.72 KiB) Viewed 798 times

268-rz.JPG
268-rz.JPG (145.71 KiB) Viewed 798 times

cvadillo

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:42 am

Hmm.. nice hack!

adafruit_support_mike

by Disciple on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:56 pm

I'd call that good enough to add to the slim case product page. Y'think?

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Disciple

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:15 am

I'll mention that to the folks who handle the shop pages, or maybe the Joy Bonnet tutorial.

adafruit_support_mike

by adafruit2 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:10 am

guide updated!
electronicgardner - email support@adafruit to get a new pi Zero!

adafruit2
Site Admin

by jdriscoll on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:40 pm

I ran into this same issue. Tried some rubber feet but they were a bit too tall. I don't see that the guide has been updated? I guess one option would be to ship it with shorter headers or cut them off.

jdriscoll

by adafruit2 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:26 am

oops thought i added it, did now. but learn is having some image issues, try again tomorrow!

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.