Kali Linux on the Raspberry Pi with the PiTFT
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Kali Linux on the Raspberry Pi with the PiTFT

by ejunkie on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:04 pm

Not sure about whether all 14 pins on the 2.8" TFT + Touchscreen (1601) are in the correct female headers on the Rasp Pi 3 B. The screen is on, but blank. The Pi works fine connected via HDMI to a flatscreen, and has Raspbian installed on the micro SD. Does the touchscreen NOT work unless I put the SD card in with Kali on it?

ejunkie

Re: Kali Linux on the Raspberry Pi with the PiTFT

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:43 am

All versions of the PiTFT work with the Pi3. RasPis with the newer 2x20 GPIO header have the same pinout in the 2x13 section that matches an older RasPi's header.

Have you installed PiTFT support on the SD card that doesn't contain Kali?

adafruit_support_mike

by ejunkie on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:04 am

Actually, no I haven't installed the PiTFT support. I'm guessing it's on this page:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... sy-install ... under:
Download Jessie-based PiTFT 2.4", 2.8" and 3.2" Resistive Image for Pi 1, 2, 3, Zero (Sept 23, 2016).

update:I have installed the RaspberryPi w/TFT image on the SD card and installed it into the pi. I also inserted the screen onto the pi. The screen is still blank white, and if I run an HDMI cable to a tv screen, all I see are a bunch of color blotches. No menu or anything.

Does the PiTFT support you mention have anything to do with the Adafruit-Occidentalis-Master file? Not sure where to actually find the PiTFT Support file you had mentioned -- unless it's the adafruit-pi-externalroot-helper file under Adafruit-Occidentalis-master\packages. Not sure what to do with this.

I am also having trouble extracting the Jessie PiTFT file to an SD card. 7zip stops at 98% at extracting a 4GB file to a cleanly formatted 16GB card. I get this when I try:
Attempted_Extraction_of_PiTFT.PNG
Attempted_Extraction_of_PiTFT.PNG (12.12 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Last edited by ejunkie on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ejunkie

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:57 am

The Occidentalis image is mostly there for historical purposes these days. The RasPi hardware has gone through a couple of updates in the last year that broke support for older OS images.

Try using the DIY Installer from a little lower on the same page.

The 4-color blend is the startup pattern the RasPi's HDMI system generates before the board starts reading the OS from the SD card, and that kind of failure to boot is consistent with a new RasPi not being able to boot from an older OS image.

adafruit_support_mike

by ejunkie on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:12 pm

So far, no luck...
I installed Raspbian via NOOBS and tried to do all the steps you mention, and this is a digest of what I got:

Step 1 Expand Filesystem
sudo raspi-config
expand filesystem
Your partition layout is not currently supported by this tool. You are probably using NOOBS, in which case your root filesystem is already expanded anyway.
sudo reboot (not necessary)

Step 2 Install new Kernel
curl ..... apt.adafruit.com .....
W: GPG error: http://apt.adafruit.com/raspbian wheezy InRelease: The following signatures were invalid: 58A..................
W: The repository 'http://apt.adafruit... is not signed

sudo apt-get.... raspberrypi-kernel
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
raspberrypi-kernel : Breaks: raspberrypi-bootloader (< 1.20160324-1)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Adafruit-PiTFT-Helper/adafruit-pitft-helper

tried to install the github files: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Pi ... tft-helper
sudo adafruit-pitft-helper -t 28r
sudo: adafruit-pitft-helper: command not found

ejunkie

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:20 am

This line is the main problem:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
W: GPG error: http://apt.adafruit.com/raspbian wheezy InRelease: The following signatures were invalid: 58A..................
Wheezy is officially deprecated by the RasPi Foundation, and none of the PiTFT support written for Wheezy works with the latest versions of RasPi hardware.

At the moment, we're about two weeks out from the release of the first-ever version of Raspbian based on Linux Stretch. Some things work, but we're still finding the things that are broken. For now, we suggest installing one of the last versions of Jessie, which you can find here:

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/

adafruit_support_mike

by ejunkie on Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:11 pm

I had to resort to using Etcher to install the next-to-latest Raspbian Jessie onto a 16GB SDHC card, since neither Win32DiskImager nor 7-zip could get the image on the card.

So now it's rebooted and seems to work. The touchscreen - moving the cursor - seems kludgy and doesn't follow where I touch, so I guess I have to go thru the steps listed in "Resistive Touchscreen Manual Install & Calibrate" and hope it doesn't mess anything up.

Questions:
1. How does the Capacitive PiTFT differ from the Resistive?

2. If I buy a Capacitive PiTFT, would I have to do a completely new install on another SD card to use it (vs. using the install I just did, but be able to swap R & C?

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by ejunkie on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ejunkie

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:04 am

The markings on the back match pid 1601, so you're good there.

What happens if you ssh into the RasPi, or log in with a keyboard and HDMI display, and enter the command:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
export FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1 ; startx &

adafruit_support_mike

by ejunkie on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:37 am

Just saw your reply. Seems to work. I edited my previous post w/ a couple of quick questions about capacitive TFT vs. resistive TFT - differences, swapability.

ejunkie

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:40 am

The capacitive and resistive touchscreens measure different physical properties, so they're completely different electronically. That only matters if you're trying to select hardware to communicate with the display overlay though, and we've already done that part.

The PiTFT support package has code to work with both kinds of touchscreen drivers (the STMPE610 resistive controller, and the FT6206 capacitive controller), so you just need to tell the OS which one to use at boot time. That's done by the `adafruit-pitft-helper` program, and from the command line boils down to telling it '28r' or '28c'.

You can configure the OS to launch X on the PiTFT at startup using these instructions from the tutorial:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... -faq#faq-5

adafruit_support_mike

by ejunkie on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:10 pm

With Jessie installed on the SD card in the Pi 3B, when the TFT screen came on, there was an issue in needing to calibrate the screen; I could see the menu and desktop but I couldn't move the cursor far enough up to reach the menu buttons. When I connected the pi (w/o the TFT) to HDMI/TV screen, all that showed was "Welcome to the Raspberry Pi Desktop."

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... -calibrate

And now I have a lighted, but blank screen again on the PiTFT (now that I've disconnected the HDMI). Maybe connecting to HDMI corrupted something? Guess I'll have to return this one.

Is there a 3.5" that works for the 3 B?

Would the 7" Touchscreen Display (ID: 2718) be an effective substitute for the 3.5" 1601?

ejunkie

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:31 am

All of the PiTFTs work with the entire range of RasPis, though sometimes there are issues with specific relases of Raspbian (it takes us a bit to catch up when the OS changes).

The output you see on an HDMI display is completely different from the output you'll see on the PiTFT. The kernel uses two different regions of memory (called 'frame buffers') to store the image that should appear on each display, which is why you have to specify the value of FRAMEBUFFER when you launch the GUI.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.