HDMI 7" 800x480 Display Backpack - Without Touch Not working

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
CxTWICE

HDMI 7" 800x480 Display Backpack - Without Touch Not working

Post by CxTWICE »

I purchased 5 of the 7" backpack monitors and all of them do not work. The screen seems to have been damaged in transport on all of them. I followed the debug/troubleshoot instructions on the web page but I had no luck. This is the page I followed: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-5-8 ... ckpack/faq

Here are 3 pictures of 3/5 monitors...
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (46.42 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Picture2.jpg
Picture2.jpg (43.47 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Picture3.jpg
Picture3.jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Please let me know if this can be fixed or if these monitors need to be returned/replaced.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: HDMI 7" 800x480 Display Backpack - Without Touch Not wor

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Those look more like HDMI resolution mismatches.

Are you using the /boot/config.txt settings from this page of the tutorial?

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-5-8 ... -pi-config

CxTWICE

Post by CxTWICE »

Yes. I created a config.txt file and placed it in the /boot directory. The file contents are exactly what is seen in the link you showed me. I saw no difference in performance.

adafruit_support_mike

Hmm.. are you testing from a single RasPi, or do you have another that you could use for comparison?

We test all our displays before they're approved for sale, and while an occasional early component failure does happen, a 70% failure rate seems way too high to be random.

CxTWICE

Post by CxTWICE »

I have tried with a few different PIs. The most recent revision of Pi I tested with is whatever is available on this site (Pi 3 Model B V1.2). I see the same results no matter the Pi I use. I have also tried with a few different HDMI cables that are known good cables and I still see the problem.

Just so we are clear I am not suggesting that bad monitors were shipped to me, I am worried that they were damaged in transit. I also do not want to be "that guy" but this is a very time-sensitive project that needs a resolution very quickly. If the problem may be known I am happy to try things out, otherwise, I need replacements to proceed on my project or a return so I can try a different product.

Thank you.

brandonwhitaker

Post by brandonwhitaker »

I just purchased the "HDMI 7" 800x480 Display Backpack - Without Touch PID: 2406". I can't get any display from it no matter what i plug it into, PI or windows laptop.
I also have an older one with touch enabled that works great. When i unplug that unit (keep the same cables), plugin this new screen, i get nothing.

adafruit_support_mike

Sorry for the delay.

@CxTWICE: Send a note containing a link to this thread and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will arrange return shipping for the displays you have now, will get you replacements, and might ask for shipping information for a damage claim to the carrier.

@brandonwhitaker: Please start a new thread for your issue. Trying to handle more than one set of hardware in a thread is like trying to fit two people in the chair at the dentist's.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”