Headless setup tutorial fails to enable WiFi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
monery

Headless setup tutorial fails to enable WiFi

Post by monery »

Hello, I recently purchased the pi0 wireless and noIR camera kit and received it earlier today.
After following the tutorial located at https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi-zero-creation/ I was not able to get my Pi's Wifi working. I did skip turning the UART on, cause I do not own the cable.
I have tried both fresh downloads of the latest images from the Raspi website, I am not sure what to do next, and any help would be appeciated,

Thx

Monery

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Headless setup tutorial fails to enable WiFi

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Let's start by taking a look at the interface itself. Post the output from `ifconfig -a` between CODE tags please.

monery

Post by monery »

I am unable to do any troubleshooting of that nature with a keyboard and a monitor since I don't own one for the Pi Zero.

adafruit_support_mike

What are you using to communicate with the RasPi?

monery

Post by monery »

I am setting up the OS via a Linux machine, entering my network settings into the wpa_supplicant.conf file and adding a empty file called ssh to the FAT boot partition. Ive used this before with Raspbian running on a pi3, and I don't believe the zero is not working. When I have some extra funds, I'll be picking up an adapter so i can plug it into a display and see whats up cause I have no other ideas how to configure the darn thing.

monery

Post by monery »

seems what I have is a defective Pi Zero W. Kernel Panics during boot and scrolls all sorts of mess too quick to read in what appears to be an inf loop. I only know its a panic because it does freeze from time to time and I caught kernel panic before its scrolls on and on.... /var/log/kern.log sadly is empty when I pull the SD card. I guess I'll write it off as a loss and pick up a pi3 when I get a chance... I am still looking forward to using the camera... How should I mark this topic as closed?

lbendlin

Post by lbendlin »

maybe try a different SD card? Sometimes a dodgy card can cause file corruption leading to kernel panics

adafruit_support_mike

If you have another RasPi, plug the SD card into that and do your configuration there. The system settings are all the same, so you can just pull the SD card and move it over to the Zero-W when you're done.

monery

Post by monery »

The Zero is my only pi atm, and I have tried two SD cards with the same results. Even pulled a older image in case I been working with a corrupted img, with the same results, I am 99% certain that the zero is DOA

adafruit_support_mike

Try the USB client test shown on this tutorial page:

https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... -zero-dead

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”