Quick Connects + Massive Arcade button = Works with Rpi GPIO
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Quick Connects + Massive Arcade button = Works with Rpi GPIO

by bitsol on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:19 pm

The Massive arcade button (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1185) comes with a microswitch, but I know almost nothing about electronics, and was wondering if I could use button quick connects (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1152) to plug into a male GPIO header. The description at the bottom of the quick connect page says that it won't work as well with your large buttons (see below), but what does that mean? Is there an alternative?

In other words, how do I get the button microswitch into the GPIO header onto the Raspberry Pi? And how does this quick connect thing fit in?

Works best with our round plain arcade buttons, doesn't work as well on the square or round "illuminated" buttons.

Thanks for any help!

bitsol

Re: Quick Connects + Massive Arcade button = Works with Rpi

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:00 am

IIRC, the tabs on the microswitch are too wide to fit the quick connects.

If you're willing to live with a soldered connection on the button, it's easy to attach a couple of wires with single female headers that will plug onto the RasPi's GPIO pins:

https://www.adafruit.com/category/306

adafruit_support_mike

by bitsol on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:29 pm

So, are you saying that it's possible to solder the microswitch connectors to female jumperwires for the GPIO pins? Or did I misunderstand? How would I go about doing that?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to work all this out before I place my order.

bitsol

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:37 am

Yep, you can solder wires with female jumpers to the lugs on the switch, then plug the female header at the other end of the wires onto pins in the RasPi's GPIO header.

There are a couple of ways to make the solder joint, each of which has its pros and cons.

The simplest option is to cut the wire below the female header, strip the insulation to expose about 1/4" of the wire, and solder that to the switch tab. It's fast and easy, but the point where the wire goes into the solder becomes a hinge that will flex and eventually break if the wire moves around a lot. You'd want to add some strain relief like heat-shrink tubing.

The other option is to pull the plastic housing off the female terminal at one end of the wire, flatten the female terminal with a pair of pliers, then solder the flattened part to the switch lug. That's a little more complicated, but the flattened termninal gives you a lot of surface area for a strong solder joint, and the wire already has strain relief in the terminal.

adafruit_support_mike

by bitsol on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:22 pm

Thank you so much.

Do I not have to do anything special on the part of the GPIO header? Just plug the female connector into the pins?

bitsol

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:04 pm

Yep.. just plug them on. The female terminals do all the work of holding the connection solid enough to be reliable, while still coming loose with moderate force in the correct direction.

adafruit_support_mike

by bitsol on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks a lot Mike! Is there some way to mark a thread as solved?

bitsol

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:25 am

No need.. as long as you've gotten the answers you were looking for, we're good.

adafruit_support_mike

by bitsol on Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Hello again Mike. Just got the parts from you guys, and I already murdered a wire connector for the project.
Using the attached photo as a reference, could you please tell me exactly where I can solder the thin wire to the switch lug?
Or even better, what tool could I use to squash a female connector and use that to attach to the button?
Thanks!
Attachments
1514237199274-1051883224.jpg
1514237199274-1051883224.jpg (674.05 KiB) Viewed 332 times

bitsol

by bitsol on Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:30 pm

Update: I squashed a female connector (see below). Where should I do the soldering?
Attachments
15142440984561425079088.jpg
15142440984561425079088.jpg (554.31 KiB) Viewed 326 times

bitsol

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 am

If you want to solder the connections, melt a blob of solder onto the lug on the side of the hole closest to the switch. Then loop the wire through the hole and around the lug to solder it:

solder-lugs.jpg
solder-lugs.jpg (32.24 KiB) Viewed 287 times
That way the insulation around the wire will provide strain relief for the solder joint.

If you want to use a crimp connector, check at an auto parts store to see if they have any blade connectors that will fit the lugs on the switch. Those crimp with regular pliers, though the wire in the jumpers is a lot narrower than the wire used in a car. You should be able to fit the pressed-metal terminator on the end of the jumper into a blade connector though, and then crimp them together. You might need to squash the jumper's terminator to make it fit the connector first.

adafruit_support_mike

by bitsol on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks a lot!

bitsol

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.