Micro USB 2-Way Y Splitter Cable Issue
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Micro USB 2-Way Y Splitter Cable Issue

by oldhamradio on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:16 am

Hi. Just received the Adafruit Micro USB Y Splitter Cable to connect my Pi 3 and the Raspberry Pi Foundation 7” touch monitor. After a while, the monitor started to “flicker” and soon thereafter, the Pi began rebooting itself continuously. It wouldn’t go beyond the “welcome to Raspian” screen.

Two things I noticed is that the input connection point on the adapter was very warm, but most problematic was that the micro USB socket was loose so that the connection from the power supply wasn’t seated firmly.

Could that be the reason for the behavior... or is there not enough current coming from my 2.5 amp power supply to run both devices through a splitter? If I connect the monitor directly to the Pi I have no problems. Rather not do that so I have the 5v free for something else.

Thanks for the help.

oldhamradio

Re: Micro USB 2-Way Y Splitter Cable Issue

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:31 am

Measure the voltage between the GND and 5v pins on the GPIO header. If it is dropping much below 5v when running both Pi & monitor, then you may have exceeded the capacity of your power supply.

adafruit_support_bill

by oldhamradio on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Unfortunately I’m not able to do that. I’ve tried multiple power supplies and power is no longer going through any of the two sections of the adapter to the Raspberry Pi or the monitor. Can I receive a replacement?

oldhamradio

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Please contact support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread for a replacement.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.