NoIR Camera v2 Not Working
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

NoIR Camera v2 Not Working

by DeekGeek on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:24 pm

I ordered two Raspberry Pi NoIR cameras on 21 November 2017 (invoice #1599565). One worked immediately with no problems. The other has not worked.

Here are the steps I have performed in an attempt to determine that the problem is with the camera module:
- Existing Raspberry Pi Zero W using existing RPi Zero camera cable
- Existing RPi Zero W using new RPi Zero camera cable (ordered on invoice 1599565)
- New RPi Zero W using new RPi Zero camera cable (both ordered on invoice 1599565)
- New RPi Zero W using new RPi Zero camera cable (RPi Zero ordered 1 Dec 2017, invoice #1611661).
- Existing Raspberry Pi 3 using RPi camera cable supplied with NoIR camera module

All Raspberry Pi computers have been configured to enable the CSI camera module and provide sufficient RAM. None of these configurations have worked. The software I have used is the MotionEyeOS software (https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos) and the raspistill command-line software under Raspbian Stretch on the Raspberry Pi Zero Ws and the raspistill command-line software under Raspbian Stretch on the Raspberry Pi 3. The MotionEyeOS software immediately detected the camera on the other RPi Zero W / NoIR camera combination. On all devices, Raspbian was brought up-to-date using apt. Here is the output from the Raspberry Pi 3 using raspistill:

ealaney@raspberrypi:~ $ raspistill -o image.jpg
mmal: Cannot read camera info, keeping the defaults for OV5647
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not detected. Please check carefully the camera module is installed correctly

Do you have any additional suggestions for troubleshooting?

DeekGeek

Re: NoIR Camera v2 Not Working

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 am

Disconnect and re-seat the Kapton tab that connects the camera module to the camera PCB. Those can come partially loose, and that will create the errors you're seeing.

It takes a strong press to re-seat the connector, so keep going until you feel/hear it click into place.

adafruit_support_mike

by DeekGeek on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:24 pm

adafruit_support_mike wrote:Disconnect and re-seat the Kapton tab that connects the camera module to the camera PCB... keep going until you feel/hear it click into place.

I gave a firm press, keeping in mind the surface-mount components underneath. I did not feel any movement, so I gently lifted the tab free and then reseated it. This time I felt it click into place. However, on reconnecting it to my RPi 3 (Raspbian Stretch) I still get an error from raspistill:
raspistill -o image.jpg
mmal: Cannot read camera info, keeping the defaults for OV5647
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not detected. Please check carefully the camera module is installed correctly

DeekGeek

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 am

Thank you.

Send a note containing a link to this thread and your order number to support@adafruit.com. The folks there will get you a replacement NoIR cam.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.