GPS wearable tracking with my Nephew
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

GPS wearable tracking with my Nephew

by scriptonian on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi Adafruit, i just want to begin by saying i am really impressed by your products. It feels great to be alive at a time where technology like this is available to everyone.... so big thanks.

I am pretty new to a raspberry pi (built a project that connects the pi to a temp/humidity sensor). So i am no expert, just a basic understanding, though i am still learning for forgive an novice questions. My nephew has asked me to help him with a project that includes gps tracking in wearables OR the pi 3 (so he can use to track his special needs little brother - thoughtful). I found out you have the wearable flora products which seems like the way to go. If the gps was on a pi 3 and his brother looses his bag, then what? So the wearables product made the most sense.

From what i have seen on the site, you are able to attach the ultimate gps tracker onto the flora board (which then connects to some kind of power source). Its not clear from what i read if the GPS tracking is live. I saw a video with a dog in the park (pretty awesome). But the GPS data was only retrieved at the end of the day, which defeats the purpose of finding him brother on-demand. Since the ultimate GPS is battery powered, i was hoping that it was somehow its emitting its coordinates which can be picked up by the pi remotely. Perhaps if my pi was running a webserver (node) and somehow had established an initial connection with the gps, it will be able to find it at anytime.

I was hoping someone could give me a little advice on which of your products i need to make this science project work. Thank you very kindly.

Konstantin

scriptonian

Re: GPS wearable tracking with my Nephew

by franklin97355 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:15 am

The GPS is a receiver and can collect the position but, to send it to your nephew you would need a transmitter. If you are thinking short range you could use one of the radio boards we have. For long range, you would probably want something like the FONA and SMS or GPRS.

franklin97355

by scriptonian on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks for your reply. How much area coverage are we talking for short range? And can you attach some links to both short and long range transmitter products you have? Thanks for the feedback.

scriptonian

by franklin97355 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:38 pm

https://www.adafruit.com/category/859 We also have some of these as Feathers with a processor onboard.

franklin97355

by scriptonian on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Thank you!

scriptonian

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.