Help..? Raspberry Pi 3..

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Slyclone

Help..? Raspberry Pi 3..

Post by Slyclone »

Just purchased a PI. It was still new in the box. I need help on a return or replacment.

I don't understand this forum. Hard to locate the correct place to write up.. that I am having issues with the brand new PI out of the box. I scanned through and could only find this section. I emailed Adafruit in regards to the unit not working and they forwarded me here.

What happens was I bought a Pi, and a keyboard. Then finally got the SD card to work it and it's not functioning. Red light turns on and no green light . Also, the SDcard chip area is not right. It does not plug in correctly (the chip) and have that spring loaded feel or pop out correctly. I'm lost. My brother has one and said it's not right. I plugged in my pre loaded SD card with raspian on it and it doesn't function. My brother brought his by and his works on my card, where my new card does notwork on the new unit. Also, his card reader has the popor spring loaded feel to it and his unit is older. I bought the newest version for its Bluetooth and wireless features. I learned from him.. you load up the USBports quickly especially if you have to run a wireless Bluetooth module or dongle..

Anyway, he advised me to send it back right away. (I Bought it the other day..) just got the chip in the mail I ordered from else where and was finally able to spend some time setting it up. I quickly realize there was a issue when I could not use a mouse or a keyboard.

What do I do? My puppy chewed half the box also. The package, the box, and the pi smelled like a very aromatic circuit smell right out of the box and the dog picked up that smell.. not sure if it was flux or the circuit board material smell.. but he chewed half the small raspberry pi box. I really can't win. Can I send it back?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Help..? Raspberry Pi 3..

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We don't care about the box being chewed up as long as your puppy didn't choke on any bits of cardboard.

Recent versions of the Pi3 use a friction-fit SD socket instead of the spring-clip version, so that isn't necessarily a problem.

Try writing a fresh copy of Raspbian to the SD card using Etcher:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
http://www.etcher.io/

That's a fairly painless way to get the most recent OS image.

The RasPi Foundation updates the hardware in ways that break back-compatibility with older OS images, and doesn't provide advance notice. We got 10,000 pre-written SD cards recently, and now people have been posting messages to say they won't boot with new boards.

Slyclone

Post by Slyclone »

It's something with the board.

My brother came over with his. He has a chip setup for his and it did not respond in mine.

As well as my card (which doesn't work in my new pi, works in his. Color screen comes up on mine and that's it. Again only a red light turns on and there is NO green light followed by turning it on. My brothers does that.

Also, the mouse does not light up as it should (the bottom) and does not connect.

Something's up with it. Not the program. I bought a sealed Element14 official rasperry Pi NOOBS disc and does not work on my unit. Can I send it back or is it trash?

My order number is 1671386-8631993659. I ordered the other day. Waited untill my SD card came and it doesn't work. I have seen these work and function before and I'm not seeing mine do what it should. Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

I can authorize a replacement, but only after we've gone through the debugging process and established what does and doesn't work.

Make an SD card using the latest version of Raspbian, and try to boot the RasPi from that please.

Slyclone

Post by Slyclone »

Ok, will do it.

My brother keeps asking me what's up what's up...

I told him that the process is a bit different to inquire about problems. With that being said I'm trying my best.

He said that it could be a older or outdated version of the NOOBs. He said we should to load the program off line and burn it into the etcher. OR write it to the SD card. See I ended up buying the element14 chip, it's in a sealed package has a black adapter and a small 8gb micro SD. I went to a few local stores and priced things out... but ultimately I opted to buy a already setup chip to make the setup process simple,and bullet proof on the same token.. I only payed 7 bucks for the chip... .

I was up late last night trying to access the website with the downloadable link for NOOBs. Finally at the end of the night (for me) it loomed as if a new version or download was avail. Lucky my brother.. has a few spare 32gb micro SD, so he was able to download and has the current up to date version ready for .e to try when I get a chance...

We shall see what happens, will keep everyone updated. THANKS.

Slyclone

Post by Slyclone »

Been having trouble with the new files converting over all day.

No luck

adafruit_support_mike

The RasPi Foundation uses a compression algorithm called 7zip that isn't native to Windows or OS X.

There are free programs that work on both operating systems though. There are links to them on the page where you download the OS images:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Slyclone

Post by Slyclone »

Hi, just want to give a quick update

Downloaded a file of rasipan and it worked.

Now I'm looking to start learning from there anything basic....any suggestions?

My first step was to get the pi board, then the SD card. And I bought a case to protect.

adafruit_support_mike

Glad to hear you got it working.

We have a series of tutorials to help people get started with the RasPi over in the Learning System:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ras ... spberry-pi

Slyclone

Post by Slyclone »

Locked out on a log in screen. Can't seem to figure it out. Login name pi.. googled everything results won't work. Tried raspberry and raspian.. sudo.. couple others can't seem to get back in. At login screen I type raspberry and the screen resets where when I type raspbian it says incorrect password. Two different screens. Can't seem to figure it out or find the solution. Also, I bought a small wireless keyboard that the website sells. It's a small black unit that cost around $12. For whatever reason the remote doesn't communicate with the pi. I'm wondering if the remote is not not use with pi? And why it's sold with the accessory with pi.

When I add the numbers in to verify it's Bluetooth it does t compute or let me hit ok. Anyone?

Thanks in Advance

adafruit_support_mike

The default username is 'pi' and the default password is 'raspberry', so those are correct. Make sure you didn't accidentally hit the caps lock key, and think back to see if you changed the login password.

If all else fails, your best bet will be to write a new copy of the OS image to the SD card and start from scratch.

Slyclone

Post by Slyclone »

Thanks. Worked on it last night took 2 tries

Got back in.. started to explore the operating system. See what's what and how it works and what it does

The little black keyboard I finally... got to connect.

Difficult when your locked out and can't figure things out.

adafruit_support_mike

Glad to hear you have things working again.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”