Raspberry Pi Zero with Wifi Adapter Not Connecting

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
phoebejeske

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero with Wifi Adapter Not Connecting

Post by phoebejeske »

I have the router set up and the necessary security. I'm not on a business network.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

What are you using as a WiFi access point?

phoebejeske

Post by phoebejeske »

I'm using a normal AT&T router, as far as I know.

adafruit_support_mike

The router should have an administration interface, usually a webpage that’s accessible using the router’s IP address in the local network.

Most WiFi routers default to the address 192.168.0.1 What happens if you enter that address in the URL bar of a web browser running on a computer connected to the network through a WiFi interface?

phoebejeske

Post by phoebejeske »

That IP does nothing, however, the address that worked for me was 192.168.1.254 . When I type it in, it gives me an extensive list of wifi-connected devices, etc.

adafruit_support_mike

That's in the same family of private addresses, and it sounds like that presents the information necessary for further debugging.

Check for two things: a page that talks about DHCP (the proces WiFi routers use to assign IP address when things connect to the network), and a logfile.

The DHCP information will list any settings that might put restrictions on the devices that can connect. The logfile will list any errors that occur when the RasPi tries to make a network connection.

It will be easier to get useful information from the logfile by opening it so you can see the new error messages as they arrive, booting the RasPi so it tries to get a network connection, and looking for any error messages that say something like 'DHCP offer failed' during the 10-15 seconds after the RasPi starts trying to connect to the network.

phoebejeske

Post by phoebejeske »

Hi,
I found the DHCP page, but it doesn't list anything out of the ordinary that would be creating a problem.
When I try rebooting the Pi, the page says that it is connected. However, after I found the logfile and try rebooting, I see no log of the Pi ever trying to connect.

adafruit_support_mike

Hmm.. it sounds like the WiFi adapter's radio has failed in a way that keeps it from being able to transmit data, but not in a way that makes it report a hardware problem. That's rare, but possible.

Did you get the WiFi adapter from us?

phoebejeske

Post by phoebejeske »

No, I actually didn't; I got it from Edimax's website, as I recall.

adafruit_support_mike

I'm afraid the only suggestion I have is to try another WiFi adapter. It sounds like the one you have might not be working properly.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”