pigrrl gamepad woes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
cb1

pigrrl gamepad woes

Post by cb1 »

All said and done, the pigrrl gamepad is not responding the way it is supposed to. Everything works except the controller. have to keep plugging in USB keyboard to hit command line and reboot. Sometimes buttons register, sometimes not. The mappings are not what they are supposed to be. Solder joints solid. Any ideas? Bad board? wtf? It's a rasppi3 mainboard. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: pigrrl gamepad woes

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

cb1

Post by cb1 »

Hi, I hope these help. Playing a game and the up button sees to work, but the start button does not (with apparent bad mappings). In the EmulationStation the buttons do not respond as they should. I used evtest to see the button maps and they were not correct (or maybe I was reading the chart wrong). Thanks!

cb.

p.s. how do I map buttons to exit games in snes?
Attachments
fruit2.png
fruit2.png (778.69 KiB) Viewed 398 times
fruit1.png
fruit1.png (580.18 KiB) Viewed 398 times

adafruit_support_mike

Your soldering looks good, but as a sanity check, measure the voltage on the pins marked 3.3V and 5V to make sure the cable orientation is right.

cb1

Post by cb1 »

Thanks! I will check voltages when I get a chance.

Last night I messed with it some. My main issues are with the up button and the start button. In nvtest, I found that the up button kept giving me a 3 and repeating like it was stuck on (also caused command line prompt to cycle like holding down enter key). I checked solder joints and up seemed to work - got passed it on keyboard/gamepad config, but I still cannot get the "start" button to register in nvtest. I checked the solder joints on that button as well. If I can get start to register I was thinking about editing the config so select isn't <space> which I read is an issue with pi3? Thanks again and the assistance is greatly appreciated.

adafruit_support_mike

I haven't heard about that issue, but you can change the key mapping if you want to. The config file is in the /boot directory.

cb1

Post by cb1 »

Here is the link:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Re ... /issues/47

Apparently whatever retrogame I downloaded mapped <space> to select.

My main issue is getting the start button to work. could it be a bad switch? I'm going to short across it to see if it registers. Thanks.

adafruit_support_mike

You can check the switch hardware by measuring the voltage across it when the switch is open and when it's closed. Open should be 3.3V and closed should be 0V.

If you get 0V when the switch is open, it means either the 3.3V or GND connection to the switch is bad.. measure the voltage at either side of the switch relative to GND to decide which it is.

If the voltage doesn't drop to 0V when you close the switch, it means the switch is bad.

If the switch does what it should, that suggests a problem in either the connection to the RasPi GPIO pin, or a problem with the pin itself. Take the same measurements at the pin'x solder joint on the underside of the PCB to see if the open/close voltages are reaching the pin.

If everything up to the pin is doing what it should, you might have a pin with a shorted input circuit. Write a simple script to watch the pin and print its value and push the button to see if the code sees anything happening.

cb1

Post by cb1 »

Sorry, it was a bit before I could get back to the project. Thanks for the help! I found two bad switches and replaced them. That problem solved, now on to my next issue...

adafruit_support_mike

Glad to hear that much is working. Happy hacking!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”