Brand New Pi 3 B + Wont Boot

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
stephen c

Brand New Pi 3 B + Wont Boot

Post by stephen c »

I inserted an SD card with Berryboot where the unit booted up and worked for about 45 seconds then went to a crash screen and did a self shutdown with an error message just prior to going off (I didn't catch the message as it abruptly self shutdown quickly). I then tried a fresh copy of Raspbian STRETCH and UBUNTU MATE and nothing, red light only. Used my SD card from another working Pi 3 and nothing. I have tried several different SD cards, OS's and cords (both power and HDMI). It seems that whatever issue caused the initial crash, the unit can't recover and boot. I was using the following components:

* 5v 2.4 amp power supply from ADAFRUIT part number: 1995,
* PI 3 B+ part number: 3775
* SAN DISK ULTRA 16 GB micro SD card Class 10 HC I

Order Number 1729401 - Purchased April 3, 2018
Attachments
pi 3.pdf
(524.61 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Brand New Pi 3 B + Wont Boot

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Go back and try Raspbian again. This time use the Lite version. When you say "fresh copy", was that based on the latest (2018-03-13) firmware from here?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
That is required for the 3 B+.

dougstrickland

Post by dougstrickland »

I ordered a Raspberry pi 3B+ with a pixel sd card. I get as far as the rainbow boot screen and it hangs. The red light is flashing and the green light never comes on. I've tried swapping out a working pixel card, changed power supplies, still not booting. Is this a DOA?

stephen c

Post by stephen c »

Carter,

By a fresh copy, I was referring to the latest on the raspbian website as you were inferring in your last reply. I then tried using the lite version as you have requested and nothing but the solid red light happened on the PI 3 B+. I then put the same SD card in my old Raspberry PI B and it booted fine. I would like to mail this unit back to you, so you could try it yourself. I really want to get a replacement, as it showed up not working properly and should be covered under warranty. Please send me you shipping address and an RMA form for tracking and I will get it back to you.

Thank you,

Stephen

adafruit_support_carter

@dougstrickland Please try downloading the latest firmware from raspberrypi.org. The Pi 3B+ requires updated firmware that was released by the Raspberry Pi Foundation at the same time as the 3B+. We are still playing catchup with our SD cards. If this does not work, please start a new thread for your issue.

@stephen c Testing with the older Pi is somewhat inconclusive, as it could still be a firmware issue - older pi's will boot it, 3B+ will not. However, it does indicate the SD card is at least OK. If you are trying with the latest (post 2018-03-13) version of Raspbian Lite and not seeing anything on the ACT light, then something is wrong. Let's just replace the Pi. Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and they can get you a replacement Pi 3B+.

petert1

Post by petert1 »

I am seeing the same problem as Stephen C. I downloaded Raspbian Stretch Lite 2018-06-27 from raspberrypi.org and used Etcher to put it on a microSD card (SanDisk edge 8GB). That SD card works with my old Pis but not with the new Pi 3 B+ which I just got yesterday.
The PWR lite comes on but there is no screen activity.

adafruit_support_carter

@petert1 Can you please start a new thread for your issue.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”