eyes bonnet--only one display working

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
tonyhallen

eyes bonnet--only one display working

Post by tonyhallen »

I read through similar posts on this forum and found 2 that seem to identify this problem, but the suggested fixes did not work for me.

To summarize my experience with the Snake Eyes Bonnet--one display, the right eye (on the left, when facing me) works but not the other.
I tried switching displays from one set of pins on bonnet to the other and only the right eye worked
I tried a different Pi 3 B+ with same results
I downloaded latest Stretch Lite again, followed your tutorial 2 more times, same problem
I checked my soldering on the bonnet and all joints looked good
I ordered two more bonnets and they just arrived; just finished soldering one of them, and the problem persists
I took special care to make sure all joints were solid.

Again, I am using a Pi 3 B+ with the latest Stretch Lite image from the Pi site. Since the exact same symptoms persist regardless of hardware changes listed above, I am suspecting a software problem.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

And thanks in advance for your help.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: eyes bonnet--only one display working

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

tonyhallen

Post by tonyhallen »

Not shown--I get both eyes on my hdmi display.
Attachments
20180526_071025.jpg
20180526_071025.jpg (339.86 KiB) Viewed 405 times

tonyhallen

Post by tonyhallen »

and a closer look at the bonnet.
Attachments
20180526_132821.jpg
20180526_132821.jpg (436.04 KiB) Viewed 393 times

adafruit_support_mike

Those look good overall.

Can you disconnect the OLEDs from the ribbon cables and swap them? That would give us more information about the source of the problem.

tonyhallen

Post by tonyhallen »

I switched the jumper wires and so now I've tried both sets of wires on both TFT displays on both sets of TFT pins on the driver board, in all combinations.

The POST/boot information also shows on the one display as the Pi boots up. When I run raspi-config half of the screen shows on the one display but nothing on the other.

adafruit_support_mike

Does the problem stay with one side of Snake Eyes bonnet or one of the OLEDs?

tonyhallen

Post by tonyhallen »

The only display (ISP 240x240) that works is connected to the right eye (on the left when facing). I've tried both displays and wires in all combinations, and the only port working on the bonnet is the one for the right eye.

FYI--When I exit eyes.py the working display shows the left half of my hdmi display, ending exactly in the center.

adafruit_support_mike

If both displays work when they're connected to the right side, and both of them fail when they're connected to the left side, it sounds like a connection problem.

If you've also swapped the cables and have gotten the same results, it suggests a problem with the PCB or the solder joints for the pin header. Of the two, the solder joints are a little more likely.

Try reheating all the joints for the left-side connector, using some additional flux to make sure the metal flows smoothly, and see if that helps.

tonyhallen

Post by tonyhallen »

I have tried the eyes.py script with 4 different Raspberry Pis--2 x 3B+s, 1 x 3B, 1 x Zero W. All of them failed to display the left eye.

I have tried switching the wires and displays with the left and right headers on the bonnet.

I have downloaded, burned to microSD, and run the installation bash scrip from scratch 4 different times on 2 different SD cards.

I have soldered headers to two different Eyes bonnets and inspected the joints multiple times, looking for some problem there.

Finally, I re-flowed the solder on all joints on two different bonnets.

All with the same results--the two eyes show and animate perfectly on my hdmi display, the right eye shows and animates perfectly on the 240x240 ISP display plugged into the tft header for the right eye, but any display plugged into the header for the left eye remains blank.

Thank you, Mike, for your time. If I understand correctly, my configuration of ISP displays, bonnet, and software should just work. Not sure where to go from here but I appreciate your help.

adafruit_support_mike

Let's try another PCB.

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will get you another Bonnet.

(#3356)

tonyhallen

Post by tonyhallen »

Thanks, Mike, and also to all the good folks at Adafruit.

tonyhallen

Post by tonyhallen »

Success!

Here's my final, successful, installation
--burned new sd image of stretch lite to micro sd card
--used the 'curl' command to download pi-eyes.sh
--ran pi-eyes.sh several times
----per previous posts on a similar thread, I chose 'N' for 'halt' and 'gadget' options, 'Y' to all others
----I suspected problems with the long installation of software through pi-eyes.sh, so I ran it several times, with 'apt update' after each
--I kept running pi-eyes.sh until a reboot showed both eyes working properly.

In summary: I'm not sure what the exact fix was, but since the hardware was the same throughout my struggles with the eyes bonnet, I feel the important factors are
--fresh image on sd card
--selecting only the ADC option when running the eyes.sh script
--running the script several times, with a system update after each run.

So thanks, Adafruit, for your support. You are the best.

adafruit_support_mike

Glad to hear you got it working!

It sounds like there was some kind of low-level glitch in the software, and those can be really hard to track down.

tonyhallen

Post by tonyhallen »

Final post--

With a fresh image of Raspbian Lite and brand-new run of the eyes install script, my problem was setting a pin for the graceful exit function.

Once the pin was set, subsequent runs of the install script, no matter what settings were selected, would not unset the exit function.

So--
--fresh Raspi Lite image
--first run of install script, no pin selected

and everything worked perfectly.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”