3.5" PiTFT displays Black Screen in RetroPie
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

3.5" PiTFT displays Black Screen in RetroPie

by haysnolan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 am

Hi! I just received my PiTFT Plus 3.5" display. I am trying to use it with a Raspberry Pi 3 running RetroPie. I followed the installation instructions linked to the product info page (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pitft-3-dot-5-touch-screen-for-raspberry-pi/easy-install-2). After this, I rebooted my Pi, the PiTFT turned white for a moment, and then the display went black. The backlight was on, but the display was blank. However, RetroPie was working because I could see and use it on an external HDMI monitor. When I couldn't get the PiTFT to work, I tried the guide found at https://learn.adafruit.com/running-opengl-based-games-and-emulators-on-adafruit-pitft-displays/pitft-setup. I received the same error as before. Is this a hardware issue, or is it software? I've tried setting the PiTFT up multiple times, but each time the same thing happens. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

haysnolan

Re: 3.5" PiTFT displays Black Screen in RetroPie

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:21 am

What options did you use when running the pitft-setup script?

adafruit_support_mike

by haysnolan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:06 am

For the first installation guide, I selected #4 (PiTFT 3.5" resistive touch 320x480) for the PiTFT selection and #1 (90 degrees portrait) for the rotation. When asked, "Would you like the console to appear on the PiTFT display?" I answered "no," and when it asked, "Would you like the HDMI display to mirror to the PiTFT display?" I said "yes." After the installation process finished, I rebooted, and that's when the PiTFT went black. When I tried the second installation guide, I chose option #2 to configure manually, option #1 (0 degrees) for the HDMI framebuffer rotation, and option #1 (0 degrees) for the TFT MADCTL rotation. The installation finished and I rebooted the system, still having the same problem as before. Later, I went back and tried the first installation process again, this time choosing to use it as a Text Console. I still had the same black screen issue.

haysnolan

by haysnolan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Should I try setting up the PiTFT with a different operating system?

haysnolan

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:45 am

You can try installing PiTFT support on the latest version of Raspbian as a basic test for the hardware.

adafruit_support_mike

by haysnolan on Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:07 am

Ok, so I ran the configuration on a fresh install of Raspbian, and the PiTFT worked! So since it is not a hardware issue, why will it not work for RetroPie, and how would I fix that?

haysnolan

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Different versions of Linux use different low-level settings, and it's hard to tell what might cause a problem.

Try dropping back to an older version of RetroPie. As far as I know, the two versions before the current one should work with the PiTFT.

adafruit_support_mike

by haysnolan on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:18 pm

I reinstalled the newest version of RetroPie (v. 4.4) and ran the configuration for the PiTFT, and it works now! So for whatever reason, it didn't work on my previous copy of RetroPie (which was still 4.4), but it worked on a fresh install. At least it's working now! Thank you for your help!

haysnolan

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:29 am

That happens sometimes.. there are lots of moving pieces in an OS, and sometimes things can go sideways.

Glad to hear it's working for you. Happy hacking!

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.