Part # 1475 usb Audio Adapter

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
RussellJames

Part # 1475 usb Audio Adapter

Post by RussellJames »

I have successfully completed all Adafruit Learn steps for setup and testing the device:

< speaker-test -c2 -D plughw:1,0 > plays white noise through device and ear buds plugged into it.

However, I have been unsuccessful with getting the usb audio adapter to play audio from a Edx.com video lesson or any other source.

I am sure it is a simple setup fix to make the device the default audio; however, after a couple of hours and numerous websites I am at wits end. Lady Ada I am not.

That said, what final setup step I am missing to get device to be the audio default device?

Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Part # 1475 usb Audio Adapter

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Can you play an audio file from the command line with this command?

Code: Select all

speaker-test -c2 --test=wav -w /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

RussellJames

Post by RussellJames »

< speaker-test -c2 --test=wav -w /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav > from the cmd line does not provide audio (front-center) using the usb audio device.

However, the (front -center) audio is available from the Pi's audio jack 5x5.

The device is GeneralPlus and the OS is Raspbian Stretch

adafruit_support_mike

Okay, it sounds like you might have the wrong ALSA configuration.

Check the file /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf to make sure you’ve specified output 1 instead of output 0:

https://learn.adafruit.com/usb-audio-ca ... lsa-config

RussellJames

Post by RussellJames »

Bill, I was very careful to ensure I had followed the instructions carefully before contacting you. That said, code below was copies directly from the alsa.conf file after opening it. As you can see the defaults ctl and pcm are both set to 1.

defaults.namehint.extended on
#
defaults.ctl.card 1
defaults.pcm.card 1
exitdefaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.pcm.subdevice -1

Is there a way to delete and reinstall the alsa conf file on the off chance something got corrupted when I made the required changes to the defaults? Also, the usb device works <white noise> when <speaker-test -c2> is run.
Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

The config file is just a regular text file, so yeah, you can delete it if you want to. Creating a new one is just a matter of giving a new text file the same name.

The first rule of debugging is to avoid making assumptions. The problem almost always lives at the point where the actual hardware/software don't match what we expect. It doesn't matter how many times you've checked something, I need to see it for myself to avoid skipping over a clue that could help.

RussellJames

Post by RussellJames »

Sorry I do not understand what you are trying to tell me. I have carefully gone over the instructions and checked my actions against the required procedures numerous time. I did that again when you suggested I check the default files to ensure that the defaults.ctl.card and defaults.pcm.card are both set to 1.

My first assumption when when troubleshooting is that "I must have screwed up" double check everything - I have done that several times.

That said, looked at the notes at the top of the ALSA library configuration file to try and figure out a name so that I could download to new alsa.conf file and replace the existing one with a new one and then set the defaults in question to 1. Can you provide any advice to do that at the cmd line? sudo apt-get ??? install

Thanks

RussellJames

Post by RussellJames »

I formatted a different SD card and installed Raspbian Stretch opened alas.conf and changed the two defaults to 1.

The new setup works fine with the usb audio adapter: both audio tests and the Edx.org video sound are 5x5. That says to me I most likely did something to corrupted the alsa.conf file on the 1st SD card you were helping me with.

That said, what is the best way to get a fresh copy of the alsa library on to the 1st SD card.

Thank you for any advice you may provide.

adafruit_support_mike

I’m glad to hear you got things working.

The easiest way to get a clean version of the ALSA libraries and code is to reinstall the OS from scratch. Trying to remove and replace low-level files is tedious and highly prone to error.

RussellJames

Post by RussellJames »

[quote][The easiest way to get a clean version of the ALSA libraries and code is to reinstall the OS from scratch. Trying to remove and replace low-level files is tedious and highly prone to error.
/quote]

The above is spot on as I worked for a couple of hours trying to cleanup the alsa file -- lesson learned!

Thanks for your patience.

adafruit_support_mike

Yeah, there are some things you have to experience personally before the warnings really make sense. ;-)

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”