PoE modules - wiring instructions?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
geopi

PoE modules - wiring instructions?

Post by geopi »

I got an Adafruit PoE module (the 1.5A non-isolated version) and consider also getting the 1.8A if this one works well, but I am having a hard time understanding the instructions posted here on the website. Both PoE modules here have similar wiring instructions, but due to the lack of proper Pi3 B+ PoE pin documentation, these instructions are meaningless to me:
1. Connect pins 1 and 2 to Ethernet wires 4 and 5
2. Connect pins 3 and 4 to Ethernet wires 7 and 8
Looking at the 4 pins of the PoE connector on the Pi3 B+, I could not find any documentation that explains which pins correspond to which "Ethernet wires". Did I miss anything there? On the electrical schematics of Pi3 B+ the J14 connector (PoE) has pins 1-4 labeled as TR1_TAP, TR0_TAP, TR3_TAP and TR2_TAP respectively (!), but even from that schematics it is not at all clear how those pins connect to the "Ethernet wires" mentioned in the Adafruit instructions.
I know I could probably just figure out the wiring from the photos but it seems a bit.. unprofessional to rely on photos because the written instructions are otherwise unhelpful. Also, I actually tried to figure out the wiring from the photos but the PoE module is getting quite hot and I get a lot of "undervoltage" warnings from the Pi (sometimes failing to boot), so I currently have some doubts about the correctness of the wiring shown in those photos.

MikeDeltaBrown

Re: PoE modules - wiring instructions?

Post by MikeDeltaBrown »

Here is a nice picture from another thread:

https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/970x728/3847-04.jpg

glennemay

Post by glennemay »

Here is where I show my true ignorance.

I have looked at that photo 100 times. unfortunately I am color blind so being able to track which of those wires is going where is impossible for me.

I dont want to fry my Pi.

If anyone can just give me a simple pin x - pin x that would be awesome. I have the two wires on the GPIO connected. I drew up what I believe to be a diagram for the eth wires.

POE Board RasPi (Assuming pin layout 3 4
Pin 1 Pin 1 1 2) Knowing pin 1 is the square pad.
Pin 2 Pin 3
Pin 3 Pin 2
Pin 4 Pin 4

Thanks in advance.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Here you go. See if this helps.
PoE_pins.png
PoE_pins.png (641.51 KiB) Viewed 86 times

glennemay

Post by glennemay »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Here you go. See if this helps.
PoE_pins.png

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

THANK YOU!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Being colorblind and in an electronics world. Is a little dicey at times. ;)

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”