Pigrrl zero build
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pigrrl zero build

by Gabriel_Chan on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:36 pm

Hello,

I started the pigrl zero build and when trying to flash the Raspberry pi zero which I purchased on black Friday, my monitor states no signal. I have done the test to see if it's dead and it does sense on my computer for a few seconds before going away. My invoice is 1908751.

Gabriel_Chan

Re: Pigrrl zero build

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:44 am

That sounds like a connection problem more than a hardware problem.

What voltage do you see on the 3.3V and 5V GPIO pins when the RasPi is powered from its power-only USB jack?

adafruit_support_mike

by Gabriel_Chan on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:54 pm

Hey,

sorry for the late reply, it miraculously started working.

Gabriel_Chan

by Gabriel_Chan on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 pm

Hello, actually i tried to plug in a keyboard to this and it did not work.

Would this be due to an issue with the usb port?

Gabriel_Chan

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:35 am

Not a clue.. problems that appear and disappear at random are usually connection issues, but it takes more information to decide why something specific is or isn't working.

If you can log in with ssh over a network connection, enter the command:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
lsusb
while the keyboard is connected and see if the RasPi knows the connection exists.

adafruit_support_mike

by Gabriel_Chan on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:40 pm

How would it be possible for me to connect my PI zero to wifi to ssh? is there a way to do it without connecting to usb?

Gabriel_Chan

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:09 am

You can tell the RasPi to start the ssh server by putting an empty file named 'ssh' in the BOOT directory that appears when you plug the SD card into a desktop computer.

If you haven't configured the Zero-W to use Wifi at all, you'll have to move the SD card to another RasPi long enough to make those settings.

adafruit_support_mike

by Gabriel_Chan on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:36 pm

I am not using the PI zero W but just a regular Zero. The wifi dongle I have is not working on it either.

Gabriel_Chan

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:04 am

In that case, you'll need to use the GPIO Serial terminal. This tutorial shows how to do it:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-ra ... sole-cable

You can use any USB-to-Serial adapter, a PiUART:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3589

or you can hook up a microcontroller as a Serial pass-through device.

adafruit_support_mike

by Gabriel_Chan on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:32 pm

I do not have a USB to serial adapter lying around.... is there really no other way to check why the port is not working?

I feel like it is already a hardware issue if both my keyboard and wifi dongle are not working on it. My USB is not even blinking on it. Is it because you rather me buy more products from adafruit in order to fix what is probably broken?

Gabriel_Chan

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:56 am

Our return/replace policy runs 30 days from purchase. It covers production defects and early component failures, but not general damage.

Your first post in this thread was past the 30-day limit for a board purchased on Black Friday. If the RasPi worked at all, as you mentioned a few posts up, we can't call any problems it has now a production defect or an early component failure. There's no way I can authorize a replacement for that board.

With that information in mind, I'm willing to help you try to debug the RasPi to see if there's any way to get it working again. It's up to you to decide whether you want to accept that help or not.

adafruit_support_mike

by Gabriel_Chan on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:11 pm

I did not try it until Dec 30 which I guess is my mistake, I really do believe it seems like a defect with the usb. If you are unable to replace it I understand but I do not like how you are attempting to promote more of your products to fix this problem instead of utilizing what I would have at hand. I do not believe that everyone would have a serial to usb adapter handy. I do not like that instead of coming up with another way to fix the problem, you not only blame me the user but make it so it is impossible for me to troubleshoot the problem. I do not appreciate this attitude.

Gabriel_Chan

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:11 am

I mentioned the PiUART as an example. I also mentioned using a microcontroller if you have one of those.

The RasPi Zero has limited options for logging in, and if there's a problem with the USB port, the GPIO Serial interface is the only remaining option. If you want to debug the board, you'll need to make a connection between the GPIO Serial pins and another computer. That requires some kind of hardware interface, and my ability to offer suggestions is limited by the information I get from you.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.