Adafruit case for Pi Zero
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adafruit case for Pi Zero

by khtaylor2 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:52 am

I just received my latest Pi shipment from Adafruit. A Zero for one project, a Zero-W for a second project and a 3B+ to join my Pi data center :-) I ordered Adafruit cases for all. I am having an issue installing the Zeroes in the cases PRODUCT ID: 3252.

If I place the Zero in the case with the four corner holes aligned with the pegs on the posts in the case and then press down on the GPIO side of the board in order to cause it to catch on the hook on the side of the case I find that the board is bent. The top of the posts seem to be about 1/64" lower than the bottom of the hook (as close as my old eyes can read my machinist's rule.) The circuit board is considerably thicker.

Is this by design or am I missing something? Should I install the Zeroes with the board bent?

Thanks,

Ken

khtaylor2

Re: Adafruit case for Pi Zero

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:19 am

Hmm.. could you post a photo showing the Zero in the bottom half of the case, but with the top off please? 800x600 images usually work best.

adafruit_support_mike

by khtaylor2 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks adafruit_support_mike,

I believe I have solved the issue - or perhaps it resolved itself. I had removed the Pi from the case and had been using it "naked." Last evening I decided I would simply cut the hook off the case and apply a drop of superglue to each of the corner pegs. I observed that the hook was bent downward; probably from when I first pressed the Pi board into place. As I was planning to remove the hook anyway I pried it upward. As it did not cooperate and break off I again inserted the Pi. This time I placed the side of the Pi opposite the hook in place first and then pried the side of the case by the hook outward to allow the Pi to seat and then let the hook snap over the board.

Obviously there are some tricks to getting a Pi into one of your cases. I generally press the wrong corner of a 3B into the case the first time and have to remove it and do it over. Perhaps you can little FAQ on how to get a Pi into an Adafriut case in three easy lessons :-)

Thanks again,

Ken

khtaylor2

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:49 am

The video on the product page shows Ladyada working it out herself: hook the GPIO header side first, then press down on the USB and HDMI connectors.

adafruit_support_mike

by khtaylor2 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:27 am

Thanks adafruit_support_mike,

Apparently I bent the retaining hook too far down by attempting to press down on the GPIO side rather than hooking the board under the hook first.

Ken

khtaylor2

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:07 am

Hmm.. the plastic is pretty resilient, and shouldn't deform under pressure.. not permanently any way.

Can you still pop the RasPi out and post a photo showing that side of the case? It could be an injection molding defect.

adafruit_support_mike

by khtaylor2 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:08 pm

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have been fighting some issues on the Pi Zero - trying to get the network connections under control - each time I boot up I get different connection names. Works fine on the 3B and 3B+. I think I am throwing in the towel on that one. And, trying to get sound out of a 3B+ with Ubuntu Mate 18.04 and Bluetooth. Finally got that working and I am happy :-))

As to the Zero case... I am not sure what I could show. Apparently I bent the hook down when first trying to install the board and then bent the hook back up when I was trying to break it off. If you wish to replicate what I experienced...

I placed the connector side of the board in first. I then pushed down on the GPIO side while at the same time pushing outward on the side of the case - trying to spring the hook out of the way to allow the board to seat. The hook is slightly chamfered but not enough to spring the hook out of the way.

Upon closer examination the hook on the Zero case does not flex out of the way hooks in the 3B case do. My bad I guess.

Ken

khtaylor2

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:33 am

It's kind of like asking to see a photo of someone to find out if I recognize them.

I've seen lots of RasPi cases, and I know how the clips are supposed to look. I've also seen several kinds of defects, and I know how those look. I don't know whether the clip on your unit looks normal or looks like a defect though, because I haven't seen it.

It's not a matter of me seeing anything different from you, it's a matter of me having additional context to interpret what I see.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.