Google AIY Vision Full Kit Seems Faulty

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
sfrank

Google AIY Vision Full Kit Seems Faulty

Post by sfrank »

I've spent the last two days hunting for appropriate solutions to an out of the box failure and I'm no further.

I received the AIY vision full kit and upon assembly using stock microSD image, I am unable to get the demo service started. The unit fails with five red flashes of the button on boot. I've examined the status log of the joy_detection_demo and have posted my results below.

1. I've disassembled and reassembled to rule out wiring issues. All copper ribbon pins are using proper orientation.
2. I've downloaded the latest img from the git-hub aiy page.
3. I've disabled and re-enabled the camera as requested by the status log (raspi-config)
4. I've tried the camera in a different zero to ensure it is operational.
5. I've used the aiy android app to configure (attach to wi-fi) from a clean image.
6. I'm able to SSH and VNC (once enabled) to check config.
7. I'm unable to successfully execute raspistill as the application indicates that the camera is not detected. Not sure if this is normal behavior since other processes maybe using the camera?

I'm somewhat out of options and before I request a return would welcome some suggestions.

Regards,
Steve

joy_detection_demo.service status output:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl status joy_detection_demo

● joy_detection_demo.service - AIY Joy Detection Demo
Loaded: loaded (/home/pi/AIY-projects-python/src/examples/vision/joy/joy_detection_demo.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead) since Tue 2019-08-20 14:52:47 UTC; 3min 11s ago
Process: 25971 ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 /home/pi/AIY-projects-python/src/examples/vision/joy/joy_detection_demo.py --enable_streaming --mdns_name ${AIY_BOARD_NAME} --blink_on_error (code=exited, status=0/S
Main PID: 25971 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Aug 20 14:52:45 raspberrypi python3[25971]: Traceback (most recent call last):
Aug 20 14:52:45 raspberrypi python3[25971]: File "/home/pi/AIY-projects-python/src/examples/vision/joy/joy_detection_demo.py", line 367, in main
Aug 20 14:52:45 raspberrypi python3[25971]: args.enable_streaming, args.streaming_bitrate, args.mdns_name)
Aug 20 14:52:45 raspberrypi python3[25971]: File "/home/pi/AIY-projects-python/src/examples/vision/joy/joy_detection_demo.py", line 291, in joy_detector
Aug 20 14:52:45 raspberrypi python3[25971]: camera = stack.enter_context(PiCamera(sensor_mode=4, resolution=(820, 616)))
Aug 20 14:52:45 raspberrypi python3[25971]: File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py", line 431, in __init__
Aug 20 14:52:45 raspberrypi python3[25971]: self._init_camera(camera_num, stereo_mode, stereo_decimate)
Aug 20 14:52:45 raspberrypi python3[25971]: File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py", line 460, in _init_camera
Aug 20 14:52:45 raspberrypi python3[25971]: "Camera is not enabled. Try running 'sudo raspi-config' "
Aug 20 14:52:45 raspberrypi python3[25971]: picamera.exc.PiCameraError: Camera is not enabled. Try running 'sudo raspi-config' and ensure that the camera has been enabled.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Google AIY Vision Full Kit Seems Faulty

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The error message says the code can't find a camera.

Did you enable the camera in `raspi-config`?

sfrank

Post by sfrank »

Yes. That was #3 in my list.

Steve

adafruit_support_mike

To confirm: if you ignore AIY completely and just try to use the camera from the command line with `raspistill` or `raspivid`, does that also fail?

sfrank

Post by sfrank »

Yes. I connected the camera directly to the Pi and cannot capture an image. I also connected a spare verified operable camera to the bonnet and have similar results.

adafruit_support_mike

What similar results, specifically? Does the camera known to work with another RasPi fail to work with the RasPi you're using for AIY?

sfrank

Post by sfrank »

The known working camera does not work in the Pi with the AIY. The log displays the same message suggesting that I enable the camera.

adafruit_support_mike

That could indicate a hardware failure in the RasPi's camera bus.

What happens if you move the camera and SD card configured for AIY to the RasPi where the camera works?

mindwave65

Post by mindwave65 »

This may be the same thing that was just suggested, but I had a similar issue.

Like you I 'luckily' had a few zero's around to use. 1 thing JUST to help - use some painter tape to LABEL all your cards.

Its low adhesion and will help in the long run.

BUT back to your issue you have 2 setups we will call 1 and 2

1 = RPI0 plus AIY Ha PLUS a camera that came with KIT.
2 = RPI0 you have a camera that you have used with it before

When plugged up and loaded with AIY image #1 gives NO camera detected

Heres a step list to run through:

A) Take the HAT and the CAMERA off 1 and place them on 2 with the AIY image - whats the result?
B) long as you still have them plugged up, grab a RASPBIAN img burn that and boot up the new stuff - what happens? - obviously the AIY SW wont work, its not even installed, but the camera automatics should be ok.
- IF YOU GET NO GO
C) Unplug the AIY hat and plug that SAME camera into the RPI0, run command line utils - whats the result?
- if you get a NO GO
D) leave2 the way It is, BUT take the camera that came with AIY and replace it with known good, run command line utils - whats the result?
- AS SOON AS YOU GET AN IMAGE FROM THE CAMERA, start moving tings back to setup #1 one at a time

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”