Snake eyes bonnet only shows image on one screen, not two.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
nanikore

Snake eyes bonnet only shows image on one screen, not two.

Post by nanikore »

Hello!

I got my Snake Eyes kit delivered recently: the bonnet and connectors, rainbow ribbon cables and 2x 240*240pixel IPS TFT screens. I was hoping to use this as part of a Halloween animatronic in front of the house this year.

I soldered the bonnet connectors up, and cabled this all up to my Raspberry Pi 3 running on a 16GB class 10+ microSD card.

I was following this guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/animated-sna ... stallation

After initial build and install, it boots, and on the connected HDMI screen I see the two creepy eyes looking around!

However, on the two small screens, I only see an eye on the left LCD screen - the screen I also see boot text on during boot.

The backlight comes on for both the small screens, so the right hand screen is getting something. I swapped the LCD screens over on the bonnet connectors, and could get an image on the other screen hardware now as the left screen, but still nothing on the 'right' screen, so I know the LCDs themselves are OK.

This led me to think the issue was one of my solders, so next I checked all the connections with my multimeter and they all passed.

I tried making some changes on the tutorial page, such as bitrate variations:

Code: Select all

sudo ./fbx2 -i -b 10000000
to adjust the bitrate the system uses, all the way down to 4000000, and whilst I could see the effect of this on the left hand screen, I still got no image on the right hand screen.

I looked at the Pi Eyes code page on github and saw a somewhat similar issue:
https://github.com/adafruit/Pi_Eyes/issues/12

and have posted there, as there is a suggestion to hook both LCD up to the single SPI and use channel select.

I also tried the setup on my Pi2, with the same results.

All in all, a bit mystified as to why this doesn't work on my set up.
Could this mean there's something wrong with the bonnet?
Can anyone recommend any tests, diagnostics or logs I can be checking to try to fix this?
Any critical information I'm missing?

(This is a summary of posts from the Glowy Things subforum, as I couldnt get any response there after nearly a week.)

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Snake eyes bonnet only shows image on one screen, not tw

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

nanikore

Post by nanikore »

Thanks Mike,
seyes-bonnet2.jpg
seyes-bonnet2.jpg (195.69 KiB) Viewed 341 times
seyes-bonnet1.jpg
seyes-bonnet1.jpg (171.08 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Are these OK, or do you need something closer on the connectors?

nanikore

Post by nanikore »

Hi - any updates or ideas? Any more info I can provide?

adafruit_support_mike

Could you post a photo showing the solder joints on the Bonnet please?

nanikore

Post by nanikore »

Mike,
Will try to upload another photo or two tomorrow. Is there something I should looking for? My soldering isn't the prettiest, but they all passed tests on my Extech 330, and using Adafruit 60/40 solder.

adafruit_support_mike

Measuring the continuity of solder joints with a multimeter is tricky.. if you touch the probes to the joint, the tip itself can close a gap, or the pressure of contact can push a narrow gap shut. You have to make your connections at points on either side of the joint for the readings to be useful.

We've seen *lots* of solder joints and know how to spot most connection problems though, from poor pad wetting to cold joints.

nanikore

Post by nanikore »

Hi Mike,

Here's the solder pictures. Didnt realise how difficult it is to photograph solder joints.
bonnet2-3.jpg
bonnet2-3.jpg (147.84 KiB) Viewed 285 times
bonnet2-2.jpg
bonnet2-2.jpg (159.15 KiB) Viewed 285 times
bonnet2-1.jpg
bonnet2-1.jpg (205.94 KiB) Viewed 285 times

adafruit_support_mike

Thank you. Your soldering looks excellent, so I doubt there are any connection problems in the joints.

What happens if you swap the rainbow cables from left to right? You might one with a broken wire.

nanikore

Post by nanikore »

I tried swapping those ribbon cables over and the problem persisted - eye on the 'left' screen, just backlight on the right. I even tried new ribbon cables to the same result. I also swapped the LCDs over - same result.

Open to ideas for further troubleshooting. Any software/diagnostics I should be checking?

adafruit_support_mike

At this point it's starting to sound like the RasPi might be damaged.

The Bonnet doesn't have any electronic components between the RasPi's GPIO pins and the display connections, so the only other option would be a broken trace on the PCB.

Do you happen to have another RasPi you can use for testing?

nanikore

Post by nanikore »

Hello,

I tried it on my Raspberry Pi 2 and got exactly the same results :( Both Pis work fine with another Hat I have too (wifi robot car).

adafruit_support_mike

Thanks.. that rules out pin trouble, and isolates the problem somewhere in the Bonnet.

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to support@adafruit.com and the folks there will get you a replacement Snake Eyes Bonnet.

nanikore

Post by nanikore »

Hi, and thanks Mike,

Actually I'd already ordered another bonnet when the first didn't seem to work as I was trying to get it done for a Halloween event around our area on the 19th. Oddly, I have exactly the same problem with this second one, and no time now to really troubleshoot it and install it before the event. (Would happily take a refund on that second one!)

I'd be keen for anyone who has one of these working to update with any config files etc., to see if it's an issue on that side, as on the hardware side I can't currently think of what the issue could be, and now I just want to get it working, maybe for next year.

I'm also reviewing similar issues like:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=157468
to see if there's any options I'm missing.

Not quite the weekend project I was hoping for!

adafruit_support_mike

At this point, I can only suggest you go back and repeat every functionality test methodically, one change at a time. The most likely source of trouble now is a false positive in one of the tests you've already done.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”