Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

Pi Zero + USB wifi HUB problems with latest Raspian
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pi Zero + USB wifi HUB problems with latest Raspian

by oliverg on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:36 am

I have a Pi Zero (not the 'w' it does not have wifi) and I purchased this product from Adafruit hoping to add wifi and dongles. https://www.adafruit.com/product/2937 The description said it would be usable for that purpose.

Nonetheless, I cannot get wifi to work. I am not using a powered hub, as this IS a hub itself and I'm plugging it directly into the Pi Zero and there doesn't seem to be any place to add power to it externally. I am using the latest Raspbian Buster. 'lsusb' shows the wifi chip connected. 'lsmod' seems to show a module with the same chipset numbers. However the Raspbian toolbar shows 'wlan0 not associated'.

I've tried everything in here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=44044 - I've added my wifi info to the configuration files directly and tried a half dozen other things.

Any idea why the current Raspbian Buster is not recognizing the wifi chip here? Do I have to load a driver? Or should I use an older type of Raspbian with an older kernel?

oliverg

Re: Pi Zero + USB wifi HUB problems with latest Raspian

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:40 pm

Some of the info in that sticky might be out of date. The fact that it's showing up in lsusb/lsmod is promising. Hopefully it's just a matter of configuration.

Are you using Buster Lite or Full? Are you OK starting over with Buster Lite and trying some things? It sounds like you have a way to access the Pi without needing network access?

adafruit_support_carter

by oliverg on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:24 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have tried both Buster lite and full and it acted substantially the same on both. I can try whatever options you suggest from square one - I don't need network access at this point, I'm just burning new images using my laptop as needed. I am trying to connect to my home wifi router network if possible with the pi zero+ usb hub/wifi combo. Thanks

oliverg

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:47 pm

See what happens starting over with a fresh image of Lite and then use this process to configure wifi:
https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... le-editing

Note the slight differences in the wpa_supplicant file from the guide above vs. that other thread. Make sure it's like the guide.

adafruit_support_carter

by oliverg on Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:28 am

Unfortunately, no change in how Raspbian is responding. Again, it seems to be recognized somehow, but not fully working. I created the .conf file in /boot as shown in the guide with my own links and then later confirmed that it was properly showing in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf after bootup. Do I need to 'associate' it somehow? The widget keeps telling me at the top of Rasbian that 'wlan0: Not associated'. The wifi does seem to exist if I type 'ifconfig -a' but I can't get it to do anything.

oliverg

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:37 pm

Try with Raspbian Lite instead of Full. The Desktop UI with Raspbian Full may be adding additional layers of software that might not be working correctly. Using Lite removes all that and is much more direct.

adafruit_support_carter

by oliverg on Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:03 am

Ok, I did download 'lite' now (I believe I indicated before that I had done that, but I installed the version without desktop only previously).
Now, I did use the truly headless command line only 'lite' version.

I followed the requirements, created the wpa_supplicant.conf file in /boot, rebooted, reviewed that the wpa_supplicant.conf was properly installed at /etc, and confirmed that lsusb and lsmod both showed the same result as before, HOWEVER, it still does not connect to my wifi and ping does not work.

Do you have any other suggestions? I'm considering a non-Raspbian distribution, looking for Linux drivers, etc. Thanks.

oliverg

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:56 pm

Can you try installing the driver from here?
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu

adafruit_support_carter

by coplate on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:04 pm

I purchased this same WiFi hub recently, and I did get it to work on my Pi Zero v1.3.

It seemed appropriate to update this thread instead of creating a new one.

I had to use the 'wext' driver instead of 'nl80211'. I should admit up front that I do not know what that really means, but I put together various posts on the internet to come to a single set of instructions.

As the previous poster mentioned, the wifi usb device showed up in 'lsusb', 'ifconfig', 'iwconfig', etc, all the places you would expect to see hardware.

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1997:0409
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlx100723cede5f  IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"<something like not associated>"  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"

And manually scanning for SSID worked with
 sudo iwlist wlx100723cede5f scan
, and gave me all of my AP I could reach.

Some poking around withteh kernel module r8188eu led me to running this apt command, but I do not know if this is the package that has the driver for sure
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ apt search 8188
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
firmware-realtek/testing,now 1:20190114-1+rpt11 all [installed]
  Binary firmware for Realtek wired/wifi/BT adapters

What I did find in dmesg was
 r8188eu: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.

Most of the threads on the internet discussed running `wpa_supplicant` form the command line to debug things.
When I ran that on the command line it reported that it would not work.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlx100723cede5f -D nl80211
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
nl80211: Driver does not support authentication/association or connect commands
nl80211: deinit ifname=wlx100723cede5f disabled_11b_rates=0
wlx100723cede5f: Failed to initialize driver interface

I then ran "]sudo wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlx100723cede5f -D wext" to try with what the internet called the older driver. and that started up, and I could see the AP names in the desktop GUI correctly.

But this had to be run manually, so I looked into how to make it saved, and found these changes. I added the bottom two lines to dhcpcd.conf. The "noipv6" entry was already set up from using the gui to try to configure the interface:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo vi /etc/dhcpcd.conf

~ Existing File contents ~
interface wlx100723cede5f
noipv6
env ifwireless=1
env wpa_supplicant_driver=wext

The forum posts recommended using "env wpa_supplicant_driver=nl80211, wext", but I could not get that to work, and had to explicitly use only "wext".

I tested this before rebooting with
 sudo systemctl restart networking.service
 sudo systemctl restart dhcpcd.service
 sudo systemctl restart dhcpcd5.service

And I could see the AP list in the GUI correctly.

I then rebooted, and the wifi worked as expected

I did not attempt to use the driver that @adafruit_support_carter mentioned in the previous post.

It would be extremely useful if something about this could be added to the product page, since it seems to no longer work out of the box due to some reason.
I installed "Raspberry Pi OS Full ( 32-bit) - Released 2021-03-04" using the Raspberry Pi Imager.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 5.10.17+ #1403 Mon Feb 22 11:26:13 GMT 2021 armv6l GNU/Linux

coplate

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.