Adafruit BrainCraft Hat and fan not working

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
vivekg

Adafruit BrainCraft Hat and fan not working

Post by vivekg »

Hi,

I received a BrainCraft hat as part of the Microsoft Lobe kit. Followed the instructions to set everything up, but unfortunately it seems like the backlight on the display is working on the hat, but the fan control and the actual display is showing nothing. I was able to get everything else working with the first tutorial (including the camera), the results of the camera do display on a monitor. But when no monitor is connected there never is anything (console or image) displayed on the built-in tft display on the BrainCraft hat. Also the fan never turns on. Feels like their is something wrong with the device. Any diagnostics or anything I can run?

Thank you,
Vivek

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Adafruit BrainCraft Hat and fan not working

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

For the fan, just to be sure, you went through the fan service setup?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-bra ... vice-setup

For the TFT - it's a little confusing. You're never seeing anything on it? Or you are as long as another HDMI monitor is attached?

vivekg

Post by vivekg »

Never see anything on it at all, it is black.

vivekg

Post by vivekg »

Hi,

Yes I already did the troubleshooting for both the fan and the display for pinning the kernel version. No change.

Vivek

vivekg

Post by vivekg »

Any next steps I can take or get the part replaced?

Thanks,
Vivek

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

the fact that neither work is quite odd - it makes us think its a mechanical issue. can you post a photo showing the HAT plugged into the Pi
also, you tried the dotstar LED / joystick example code and those work?

vivekg

Post by vivekg »

Hi,

I did not try those samples. I followed the setup guide and the troubleshooting that was included in the Machine Learning 101 with Lobe and BrainCraft tutorial. According to that trouble shooting it should have displayed a console on the BrainCraft Hat.

Attached is the image of the attached hat.
IMG_0213 copy.jpeg
IMG_0213 copy.jpeg (81.37 KiB) Viewed 130 times
IMG_0213 copy.jpeg
IMG_0213 copy.jpeg (81.37 KiB) Viewed 130 times
Thanks,
Vivek
Attachments
IMG_0214 copy.jpeg
IMG_0214 copy.jpeg (157.24 KiB) Viewed 130 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ok please do try them, it will help us figure out what is amiss

vivekg

Post by vivekg »

Could you provide a link to the example as the one I found had to do with LED lights not a display.

Thanks,
Vivek

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

thats what you want to do, try the lights and joystick, do they work

vivekg

Post by vivekg »

Hi,

Okay so I found the examples at the Python section of what you had sent. For the joystick test. It only registered up and it was very laggy in registering it. Down, left, right and button press did not work. For the LED there was no result, the LEDs did not flash.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Vivek

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ok we can try to replace it - email support@adafruit for a new Braincraft HAT with a link to this thread.

vivekg

Post by vivekg »

Thank you!

tbray

Post by tbray »

I finally got around to setting up my BrainCraft board and I am also not getting the fan to work using the fan setup procedure. When I check it says that the service is not found.

I did use the command: raspi-gpio set 4 op pn dh and the fan turned on. For now, since I had to remove the heat sinks on my PI4, I added that command to the end of .bashrc so that the fan just comes on.

So something is wrong with the service setup. The fan is a bit noisy so it would really be nice if it cycled on and off with temperature.

There is a fan option now in the raspi-config but that didn't seem to want to turn on the fan either, or maybe I didn't let it get hot enough. The minimum temperature is 60 which, if it is celsius, is. pretty hot.

I am running the 2021-03-04 OS, a RPI 4 8GB, with the update / upgrades completed.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”