Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

Unable to connect to Raspberry Pi Zero wh
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Unable to connect to Raspberry Pi Zero wh

by gerbreown on Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:43 am

Last Monday 4/19/21 I received my RPI Zero. So far I have NOT been able to connect via PING or SSH.
When turned on the green light blinks and then stays on. Is this normal or should it turn off after it boots?
I have used the power supply and connected directly to my Linux laptop.
I have used Buster Lite and Buster Desktop.
I used the new Raspi Imager to write the above images to a new microSD card. I have also used Etcher to write the images.

When I PING or SSH the following is what I get.
[code][gerald@gerald-HP-Notebook:~$ ping 192.168.1.101
PING 192.168.1.101 (192.168.1.101) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.109 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.109 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.109 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
^C
--- 192.168.1.101 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time 4096ms
pipe 3
gerald@gerald-HP-Notebook:~$ ping raspi-101
ping: raspi-101: Name or service not known
gerald@gerald-HP-Notebook:~$ ping raspi-101.local
ping: raspi-101.local: Name or service not known
gerald@gerald-HP-Notebook:~$ ssh pi@192.168.1.101
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.101 port 22: No route to host
gerald@gerald-HP-Notebook:~$ ssh pi@raspi-101
ssh: Could not resolve hostname raspi-101: Name or service not known
/code]

I had changed the IP address directly on the card in the dhcpcd.conf file in my laptop and renamed it in the Imager program advanced options.

On the back it says "Raspberry Pi Zero v1.1, Raspberry Pi 2017"

I have 5 other Raspberry Pis of various models and all of them have worked out of the box. This is my first Zero.

Do you know what might be the cause for this problem and what I can do to fix it?

I read another post here and that person was told it could be defective and it was replaced for him.

Thanks.

gerbreown

Re: Unable to connect to Raspberry Pi Zero wh

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:30 pm

On the back it says "Raspberry Pi Zero v1.1, Raspberry Pi 2017"

Sounds like it might be a non-wifi Pi Zero. Otherwise it would have a W in the name.
zerow.jpg
zerow.jpg (74.57 KiB) Viewed 121 times

adafruit_support_carter

by gerbreown on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:07 am

Actually the "W" is on the back but I forgot to include it in my post. I noticed it was missing when I reread the post but it was too late to edit it by then.

Thanks for the reply.

gerbreown

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:10 am

Ah, OK. Try starting over with a copy a the Lite version of latest Raspberry Pi OS and go through this setup:
https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... le-editing

You need to explicitly enable SSH and the network config file you are trying to edit (dhcpcd.conf) may not be taking effect as well.

adafruit_support_carter

by gerbreown on Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:59 am

Thanks for your reply.

I have been through all of those steps numerous times but did it again.

When I checked the "dhcpcd.conf" file I discovered that the static IP has not been created because it is still commented out.

My router is now showing a host name of "raspi-101" which I set in the Raspi-Imager program and it is showing a ip address of "192.168.1.5" but when I try to ping that address I get "Destination Host Unreachable" when using either IP address or Host-name. When I SSH using either IP or Host-name I get "No route to host".

I currently have the USB cable attached to my laptop and to the USB port on the Pi so the WiFi should not be involved.

I just connected it to a Raspi power supply so it should now be using the WiFi and am still getting the same errors.

The router is now seeing it but I am still getting the above errors.

Is it normal for the green light to stay on constantly or should it turn off after booting?

Another thing I noticed is on the back there is a date of 2017 and it has the header added. Could either of these be a cause of the problem?

Thanks for any other any other information you can provide to get this system on-line.

gerbreown

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:19 am

Is there a reason you need to set a static IP address?

Is it normal for the green light to stay on constantly or should it turn off after booting?

That can be normal. It's suppose to be an activity indicator light. But it can appear to be constantly on as well.

Another thing I noticed is on the back there is a date of 2017 and it has the header added. Could either of these be a cause of the problem?

Did you order a Pi Zero WH? The H means it comes with pre-installed headers. That's the only difference between a regular Zero W and the Zero WH version.

adafruit_support_carter

by gerbreown on Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:57 am

The reason for the static IP is that I run all of my Pis in headless mode and do not want to rely on having a dynamic address assigned. I also have 2 static addresses on my laptop, one for ethernet and the other for WiFi.

Yes I ordered a Zero WH.

I am trying to create a weather station so I need the headers for the BME280 sensor (from Adafruit) and the rain and wind sensor and my soldering skills are not that great so it was worth the $4.00 difference between W and WH.

I also need the W because the Zero will be at end of my house transmitting the data to my Model 4-8gb Raspi at the other end of the house. I also have a Pi-Juice HAT that connects a battery and a solar panel for powering the Zero.

The Raspi 4 is running PostgreSQL to store the data and to create reports to be sent to my website "gsb-wx.me". This web site is currently just generating random data and when I get the Zero on-line it will be displaying REAL data from the sensors.

If the Zero I received can not be connected to does that mean it is defective and could be replaced? Or do you have other suggestions on how I can get it working?

Thanks.

gerbreown

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:02 am

Do you have DHCP completely turned off? For the sake of trouble shooting, could we try a dynamic address?

adafruit_support_carter

by gerbreown on Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:12 am

No the DHCP is not turned off. When I checked the dhcpcd.conf file the static IP was not activated.

I just booted it up and my router is showing a hostname of raspi-101 with an IP address of 192.168.1.2.

I just pinged that address and I get "Destination Host Unreachable". When I search for that error I can not find any information on how to fix that.

Any other suggestions? I sure want to get it working.

Thanks.

gerbreown

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:24 am

I'd suggest just trying without static. Let your routers DHCP server assign the address. It sounds like you are able to see your router's status, so could possibly also use that find what address gets assigned. The other option is to try using the address:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
ping raspberrypi.local

adafruit_support_carter

by gerbreown on Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:33 am

The name has been changed to raspi-101 and when I ping raspi-101.local I get the error "ping: raspi-101.local: Name or service not known"

I plan on running this 24/7 so I can NOT check when the IP changes and that is why I need to use a static ip.

gerbreown

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:33 pm

Did the router do that name change?

adafruit_support_carter

by gerbreown on Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:37 am

No the router did not change the name. It was changed by the Raspi-Imager program advanced options, which also sets up the SSH and the wpa_supplicant.conf file based on information I enter when I run it. That program writes the file to the disk and does those additional changes. It is available for FREE from https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/

The default name it suggests is "raspberrypi.local" but it can be changed.

gerbreown

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:42 am

Try again, but skip the advanced options and do the manual text file editing approach:
https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... le-editing

It looks like that advanced option simply sets up a script to run on first boot. It's using a slightly different wifi configuration:
cat >/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf <<WPAEOF
country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
ap_scan=1

update_config=1
network={
   ssid="foo-wifi"
   psk="foo-pw"
}

WPAEOF

In particular, it leaves out the
    scan_ssid=1

line which can help for various wifi setups.

And just leave the hostname as the default raspberrypi for now.

adafruit_support_carter

by gerbreown on Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:00 am

OK. Will try it tomorrow as it is now getting to be my bed time.

gerbreown

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.