V2.1 camera module with Pi Zero W
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

V2.1 camera module with Pi Zero W

by colarco on Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:09 pm

Hi-
I’ve had bad luck getting good pictures out of V2.1 camera module attached to a Pi Zero W.

Basically, I get a perfectly good camera module that takes high quality photo from my Pi 3. Then I attach (with appropriate cable) to the Pi Zero W and take a test image and it is blurry. I return the camera to the Pi 3 and now it only takes blurry photos. So it seems I’ve damaged the camera. I’ve actually done this now with 3 cameras on two different Pi Zeroes with different camera cables. So I think it is me and not my hardware particularly.

I think I’m damaging the camera modules somehow. My suspicion is that as I have been trying to install the camera in the official Pi Zero case that the camera is somehow shorting against the heat sink I install on the CPU board. I haven’t been brave enough to try yet another camera module without installing direct into the case.

Anyone have experience with this kind of issue?

Thanks!
Pete

colarco

Re: V2.1 camera module with Pi Zero W

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:11 pm

Make sure it's not just a focus issue. The focus can be adjusted by turning the focus ring bezel. There's a tool that helps:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3518
But can also carefully use something to engage on the little nubs of the focus ring.

adafruit_support_carter

by colarco on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:44 pm

Hi, thank you for the suggestion. Is the focus change mechanical only? I expect so, and assuming that I can't figure why over several cameras I would have the exact same situation if it is a mechanical focus adjustment issue--well-focused camera takes pictures on Pi 3, move to Pi Zero and subsequently takes unfocused pictures. Thanks, so.

Pete

colarco

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:53 pm

But if you go back to the Pi 3, it's blurry:
I return the camera to the Pi 3 and now it only takes blurry photos.

The focus ring is the part indicated by red arrow. There are several notches as indicated by blue arrow that can somehow engage (like with flat blade screw driver) and then rotate the focus bezel.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.