Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

Selecting a hat for my RC Car
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Selecting a hat for my RC Car

by shri3kin_band1t on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:41 pm

I'm going to need one (maybe two if possible) motor(s), which shouldn't require too much voltage (5v max) I'm also going to use a micro servo for steering, there's a motor hat and a servo hat, and I don't know which one to choose, I'd prefer not to have to get and stack both, can I use both the motor and servo on the motor hat? both use PWM, thanks.

shri3kin_band1t

Re: Selecting a hat for my RC Car

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:00 pm

What are the electrical specs for the motors you are using?

adafruit_support_bill

by shri3kin_band1t on Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:00 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:What are the electrical specs for the motors you are using?

" voltage 7.5v"
however I have absolutely no intention of putting that much into it, honestly I think 1.5v would be the max I need,

shri3kin_band1t

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:07 pm

" voltage 7.5v"

That is only one piece of an electrical spec. To find a suitable driver, you need to know a lot more details.

At a bare minimum:
* What type of motor? Brushed? Brushless?
* If brushless, does it have an integral ESC?
* What is the no-load current?
* What is the stall current?

adafruit_support_bill

by shri3kin_band1t on Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:08 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:
" voltage 7.5v"

That is only one piece of an electrical spec. To find a suitable driver, you need to know a lot more details.

At a bare minimum:
* What type of motor? Brushed? Brushless?
* If brushless, does it have an integral ESC?
* What is the no-load current?
* What is the stall current?

my bad, Brushed, no ESC, No load Current = 100Ma Max, no load speed, 20000 +- 12%RPM, Stall Torque (g.cm) 21 min
Afraid that's all the information I have on it besides physical size, this is a link to it. https://www.radioshack.com/products/rad ... peed-motor Thank you, still new to circuits and very new to motors.

shri3kin_band1t

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:38 am

The Crickit HAT is a good match for 130-size motors like those. It will also handle your servos as well as a number of other useful features as listed below.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3957

4 x Analog or Digital Servo control, with precision 16-bit timers
2 x Bi-directional brushed DC motor control, 1 Amp current limited each, with 8-bit PWM speed control (or one stepper)
4 x High current "Darlington" 500mA drive outputs with kick-back diode protection. For solenoids, relays, large LEDs, or one uni-polar stepper
4 x Capacitive touch input sensors with alligator-pads
8 x Signal pins, can be used as digital in/out or analog inputs
1 x NeoPixel driver with 5V level shifter - this is connected to the seesaw chip, not the Raspberry Pi, so you won't be giving up pin 18. It can drive over 100 pixels.
1 x Class D, 4-8 ohm speaker, 3W-max audio amplifier - this is connected to the I2S pins on the Raspberry Pi for high quality digital audio. Works on any Pi, even Zero's that don't have an audio jack!
Built-in USB to serial converter. The USB port on the HAT can be used to update the seesaw firmware on the Crickit, or you can plug into your computer, it will also act as a USB converter for logging into the console and running command lines on the Pi.

adafruit_support_bill

by shri3kin_band1t on Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:12 am

adafruit_support_bill wrote:The Crickit HAT is a good match for 130-size motors like those. It will also handle your servos as well as a number of other useful features as listed below.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3957

4 x Analog or Digital Servo control, with precision 16-bit timers
2 x Bi-directional brushed DC motor control, 1 Amp current limited each, with 8-bit PWM speed control (or one stepper)
4 x High current "Darlington" 500mA drive outputs with kick-back diode protection. For solenoids, relays, large LEDs, or one uni-polar stepper
4 x Capacitive touch input sensors with alligator-pads
8 x Signal pins, can be used as digital in/out or analog inputs
1 x NeoPixel driver with 5V level shifter - this is connected to the seesaw chip, not the Raspberry Pi, so you won't be giving up pin 18. It can drive over 100 pixels.
1 x Class D, 4-8 ohm speaker, 3W-max audio amplifier - this is connected to the I2S pins on the Raspberry Pi for high quality digital audio. Works on any Pi, even Zero's that don't have an audio jack!
Built-in USB to serial converter. The USB port on the HAT can be used to update the seesaw firmware on the Crickit, or you can plug into your computer, it will also act as a USB converter for logging into the console and running command lines on the Pi.

This is great, it wasn't even on my radar but it's above and beyond, thank you!

shri3kin_band1t

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.