Adafruit RasPi RTC's don't fit in Flirc Cases
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adafruit RasPi RTC's don't fit in Flirc Cases

by johnrb68 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:51 pm

For those of you that like the very popular Flirc cases for RasPi, unfortunately the Adafruit RTC's will not work in the Flirc cases, because the circuit board was taken all the way out to the edge to match the RasPi circuit board. The aluminum support post for the RasPi circuit board blocks the RTC circuit board, and you can't easily remove the aluminum unless you happen to have access to a Milling Machine.

RasPi-RTC-Flirc-Case.jpg
RasPi-RTC-Flirc-Case.jpg (510.01 KiB) Viewed 48 times

Now I have a bunch of the Adafruit PiRTC - Precise DS3231 RTC's that I can not use right now, because all my RasPi's are in the Flirc cases. The Flirc cases are great because the case becomes the heat sink for the CPU by design. Not sure I want to go to another case, because the Flirc cases are a great price and design and build.

These RTC's are a great little part and built well, but I didn't even think it might be a problem as most smaller RasPi boards like this don't extend out like this one does.

I'll figure something out, but wanted to pass on to others.

It would be nice if Adafruit added in some text to the RasPi RTC product pages that they may not fit some RasPi Cases due to design.

Thank you.

johnrb68

Re: Adafruit RasPi RTC's don't fit in Flirc Cases

by alphanumeric on Sat May 01, 2021 9:15 am

These may work, you will have to solder them right to the Pi's GPIO though.
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/rv3028-real-time-clock-rtc-breakout

alphanumeric

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.