Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

RGB Matrix + RTC HAT: labeled but undocumented 3v, 5v, GND p
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

RGB Matrix + RTC HAT: labeled but undocumented 3v, 5v, GND p

by Protoclown on Sat May 08, 2021 4:53 pm

Hello- I'm a total electronics n00b, so please go easy if this sounds horribly uninformed...

I bought some 3V relays a while ago as part of an effort to expand the functionality of the RGB matrix Bedroom Clock project.
I'm using the RGB Matrix and RTC Hat, and recently realized that the GPIO 3v pin I was planning on using to power the relay is covered up by the hat.

Looking around the board, I see that there is a block of 3V, 5V, and GND pins in the area between the dark blue squares Image.

Could I possibly tap off of these for my relay's 3V and GND needs? Those pinouts aren't mentioned in the docs for the hat and I don't know enough about electronics to suss it out for myself.

Failing that, would it be better to buy a 5V relay and integrate it with the LED's power hookup like I'm already doing for the clock's motion sensor?

Thanks in advance!

Protoclown

Re: RGB Matrix + RTC HAT: labeled but undocumented 3v, 5v, G

by blnkjns on Sun May 09, 2021 1:45 am

Yes they are all wired to the 3V source, GND to GND and the 5V ones to 5V.

blnkjns

Re: RGB Matrix + RTC HAT: labeled but undocumented 3v, 5v, G

by Protoclown on Sun May 16, 2021 11:03 am

Awesome- thanks for clarifying that!

Protoclown

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.