R PI Zero W doesn't boot

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
westy

R PI Zero W doesn't boot

Post by westy »

I recently ordered a Raspberry Pi Zero W (order #2549018). I have been unable to get it to boot. Actions taken as follows:

-Loaded Raspbian image on SD card using Raspberry Pi Imager. Plugged RPI into monitor via HDMI. RPI did not boot up.

-Plugged the card into another Pi Zero that I have, and the device booted up as normal. I used the same RPI power supply for both devices.

I loaded a Raspbian image onto another card and tried it on the RPI in question, still wouldn't boot.

-Following instructions from Adafruit, I plugged the "dead" RPI Zero into my windows computer with a data sync cable and the device DID appear in the hardware section of the device manager.

I'm not sure what the troubleshooting steps I've taken so far might signify. Id obviously prefer not to go through the hassle of doing an exchange bu I dont know where to go from here. I appreciate any help you can provide.

mikeysklar

Re: R PI Zero W doesn't boot

Post by mikeysklar »

Which Pi OS (was Raspbian) image did you load onto the Pi Zero W? Please make sure you are installing the latest Pi OS release desktop or gui.

You could modify the /boot/config.txt to set your monitor to maximum compatibility:

Code: Select all

hdmi_safe=1

westy

Post by westy »

It's the latest OS release (3/04/21). I uncommented the monitor setting in the config file, and that didn't work. Also I configured the wifi, but it does not show up on my LAN.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@westy,

Since you have confirmed with a non-working device, tried safety mode for the HDMI and attempted to setup WiFi on boot I think we can call this a failed Pi Zero. Let's get you a replacement.

Please send an e-mail to [email protected] requesting a replacement with your original order# and link to this forum thread.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”