Dual fans not working in RP4 case

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
kungfury

Dual fans not working in RP4 case

Post by kungfury »

Hello,
I just purchased the https://www.adafruit.com/product/4340 case and after assembling it I noticed that neither of the fans are working. I connected the red wire to pin 4 and the black wire to pin 6 on the GPIO on the Raspberry Pi 4 and so far no luck.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Dual fans not working in RP4 case

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Please post a photo of your setup showing how everything is connected.

kungfury

Post by kungfury »

Here you go.
Attachments
rpi4_dual_fan_case.jpg
rpi4_dual_fan_case.jpg (161.3 KiB) Viewed 269 times

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks. That looks totally fine. Weird. Do you have some way of measuring the voltage on pin 2 of the Pi to verify power is actually there? Really hard to believe *both* fans would be DOA.

kungfury

Post by kungfury »

I've done some light soldering in the past and have a multimeter. How would I measure the voltage of pin 2? Just turn on the raspberry pi and then place the prong from the multimeter on pin 2?

adafruit_support_carter

Here's a handy pin reference:
https://pinout.xyz/#

There's nothing fancy happening. The fans are powered by the 5V pin (red wire). You should see 5V there if you simply power the Pi. That's the main thing to check.

The one thing to be careful about is to not short any of the headers pins with each other. So be careful not to do that with the multimeter probes - like touch more than one pin at the same time. You can use any of the Ground (GND) pins on the Pi's header, so you don't need to try and measure those two pins right next to each other.

kungfury

Post by kungfury »

Ok I was able to get 2 male to female dupont cables and connect the female ends to GPIO pins 2 (power) and 6 (ground) and the male ends to my multimeter prongs. The reading says 4.9 volts, which I assume is the right amount?
Attachments
rpi4_gpio_multimeter_test.jpg
rpi4_gpio_multimeter_test.jpg (209.83 KiB) Viewed 254 times

adafruit_support_carter

Neat! Cool hack, that's a great way to help prevent shorting.

Yah, that power looks fine. Very weird. Not sure what's up. Thanks for all the checking and testing. Let's just replace it. Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement case.

kungfury

Post by kungfury »

Thanks I wanted to make sure I didn't short out this brand new raspberry pi 4. I'll contact the support email address with the link to this forum and my order number. Thanks again for your help with this.

hasecbinusr

Post by hasecbinusr »

I'm having the same problem. I just purchased this case and installed it on a new Raspberry Pi 4B and the fans did not work straight out of the box. I have them connected and installed identically to the original poster.

Gunzelmanmusic

Post by Gunzelmanmusic »

This might be a silly suggestion, but you have the fans upside down compared to the catalog photo. Could the rotors be hitting the heatsink on the bottom. Try turning the fans over.

adafruit_support_carter

@hasecbinusr If you are still having issues with the fans, please start a new thread.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”