POE USB C spilter not passing ethernet

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
kennova

POE USB C spilter not passing ethernet

Post by kennova »

Support asks that I create a separate Forum post.

I Received two PoE splitters, one for USB C and one for USB Micro.
Using the USB C Splitter with a RPi 4 2GB, the Ethernet does not work.

I used the PoE Splitter with MicroUSB Plug - Isolated 12W - 5V 2.4 Amp PID: 3785 with a RPi 3B+ from the same switch and port and it worked fine (100 Meg). it was pulling 3.54W

The Switch is a Ubiquti 16 port 150 watt POE (US-16-150W) with both splitters and the other equipment on the switch the POE is at 21.92W out of 135W available

The big question is will the PoE Splitter with USB Type C - 5V 2A - 100 MB Ethernet PID: 4552 work with the RPi 4?

mikeysklar

Re: POE USB C spilter not passing ethernet

Post by mikeysklar »

PoE Splitter with USB Type C - 5V 2A - 100 MB Ethernet PID# 4552
This is perfect for use with a Raspberry Pi 4 or Pi 400 (or other "USB C Power" Raspberry Pi) since it has Ethernet and USB-C, and 2 Amp is a good amount of current for even the most accessorized Pi.
This is really meant to work with the Pi4. The experience I've seen reported with other units was that power worked, but ethernet did not. Is this what you are seeing as well?

The safe bet with a Pi4 would be the PoE USB-C spliter. I can ask engineering to confirm that this product has a larger issue than faulty units.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/5058

We can do a return on the PoE

kennova

Post by kennova »

Yeah that is what I'm experiencing, only power, no data. I tried setting the speed of the port and the Pi, but that didn't work, still only provides power. I am curious if you have a bad batch or something of these devices based on the other post, but obviously don't have enough data.

I chose a splitter over a PoE hat as I'm more able to use a fan and case I like. We can do either an exchange or a return.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Please send an e-mail to [email protected] requesting a return for the PoE USB-C splitter (#4552). Include your invoice number and a link to this forum thread. I don't see a reason to do a replacement as the behavior is likely to be the same.

I will contact engineering and ask for them to review this product since the behavior has been multiple reports of only power and now ethernet.

kennova

Post by kennova »

Sounds good. Thanks

kennova

Post by kennova »

Support is saying I can return it but will not offer a shipping label cause it is a device intended for a Pi 4.
I used this device on a Pi 4, as stated in my original post.

You posted a link to a PoE Hat, but said you were linking to a USB C Splitter. I think something got lost in translation. I ordered BOTH a USB C and a Micro USB splitter. The Micro USB Splitter I am using on a Pi 3, and it's working fine.

I attempted used this USB-C Splitter on a Pi 4. Can you clarify this for the support team so I can get a shipping label for the return?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

we're going to try this out first, in case theres something with configuration we can adjust. (its been a busy week!)

kennova

Post by kennova »

A refund was given.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ok gr8!

kennova

Post by kennova »

Since I was refunded I felt comfortable removing the cover and there is a bad solder joint on L1. This would definitely cause the issue I was seeing.

So this looks to be a manufacturing issue.
IMG-4050.jpg
IMG-4050.jpg (693.63 KiB) Viewed 115 times
IMG-4049.jpg
IMG-4049.jpg (945.2 KiB) Viewed 115 times

kennova

Post by kennova »

Sure enough. I resoldered that wire, and the adjacent ones as they had cold solder joints. I verified the connection from the back of a small patch panel I have all the way through to the tranformer module on the board. Which I looked up and it's a 100MB only module. I reconnected it and set the port to 100MB base T and it is working again.

I had attempted setting things to 100MB on my switch before and it didn't work. so I'm 100% confident the issue is that wire that came off the solder pad. So your issue is likely a bad batch of cold solder joints. Some may hold, but likely they are not.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@kennova,

Thank you for the tear down photos and confirmation that this unit had cold solder joint. Much appreciated.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”