It's Holiday Sale Weekend at Adafruit - use the code ADATY to get 15% off items storewide! Some restrictions apply.

Voice Bonnet has high-pitched whine
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Voice Bonnet has high-pitched whine

by donburch888 on Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:17 am

In my Order ID 2636236-7500272514 on August 17th I purchased an Adafruit Voice Bonnet for Raspberry Pi - PID: 4757

This unit has a high-pitched whine, such as was reported in march in your Forum thread viewtopic.php?f=19&t=176168&start=30

To confirm, I have started from scratch again with minimal configuration:
  • My Voice Bonnet is connected to the Raspberry Pi Zero WH from the same order. Raspberry Pi branded 5.1V 2.5A power supply
  • new flash of latest Raspberry Pi OS Lite (2021-05-07-raspios-buster-armhf-lite)
  • My testing was done with HDMI, USB keyboard/mouse, and headphones connected to the Bonnet's 3.5mm Audio socket.
  • Followed instructions from adafruit's product documentation including HinTak driver
On the console, alsamixer exits when [F6] is pressed - however in a SSH session [F6] correctly pops up the device select window.

When I get to the "Microphone Test" (arecord -f cd -Dhw:1 -t wav VoiceBonnet.wav) the high pitched whine is clearly heard.

RasPi0_alsamixer.png
alsamixer setting for attached .wav file
RasPi0_alsamixer.png (50.32 KiB) Viewed 681 times

Voice_Bonnet_mic.zip
wav of test recording
(325.4 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Given that (a) the Voice Bonnet is designed as a Raspberry Pi HAT, and (b) only software instructed by Adafruit has been installed ... it seems odd that Mike is blaming other software on the Raspberry Pi, and it is disappointing that the issue seems to have been ignored since.
Please provide RMA instructions.

donburch888

Re: Voice Bonnet has high-pitched whine

by mikeysklar on Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:37 pm

Disappointing to read through the linked whine thread. I'll ask engineering about possible resolutions.

Please send an e-mail to support@adafruit.com requesting a refund. Include your order# and a link to this forum thread.

mikeysklar

by donburch888 on Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:27 pm

Yeah, I did email to support with all the details above ... and they told me to start a new thread in the forum. Feels like you're sending customers around in circles :-(

donburch888

by mikeysklar on Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:57 am

Yes, support@adafruit.com requires us to review the issue before they will start the RMA process. That is why a link to the forum thread you discussed it on is necessary for them to proceed.

mikeysklar

by adafruit2 on Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:40 pm

hiya, it seems like there is some small qty of folks who are getting noise feed thru. we've sold thousands of these bonnets over the years. the bonnet is designed with a split supply and EMC beads, but the pi is not a 'low noise' SBC. it depends on the power supply/pi/environment. when we get the boards back, we cant reproduce the issue so it isn't debuggable.

if you cant use the bonnet - email support@adafruit for a refund. thanks!

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.