Raspberry400 Mouse DOA

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
billh1953

Raspberry400 Mouse DOA

Post by billh1953 »

I recently purchased the Raspberry Pi 400 kit (order # 2672905-9975583117) and finally had a chance to set it up and start using it. Everything works fine except the mouse does not work at all. I borrowed the mouse from a Windows computer and that mouse works fine with the Pi 400. I tried the mouse that came with the Pi 400 on the Windows computer and it does not work there. So the mouse that came with the Pi 400 is DOA.
When I plug the mouse into either computer, the red tracking light does not turn on. On my Windows 10 PC, I get a message that the device malfunctioned and is not recognized.

mikeysklar

Re: Raspberry400 Mouse DOA

Post by mikeysklar »

Please send an e-mail to [email protected] requesting a replacement mouse. Include your order# and link to this forum thread.

I don't know if we can supply the exact mouse that comes with the Pi400. If we cannot supply the same one would this Official Raspberry Pi USB optical mouse be an acceptable substitute.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4113

billh1953

Post by billh1953 »

The replacement Pi mouse came two days ago. Thanks for the speedy response. Unfortunately, it does not work either. I tried it on two other MS Windows computers and it will not work. Similarly, I tried a different mouse and even my wireless mouse on the Pi and they all work fine. The light on the Pi mouse does not turn on. I also tried the Pi mouse on a powered hub and still nothing.

(Next day) A new piece of data. Out of desperation I tried both the original mouse that came with the Pi 400 and the replacement mouse on an old Widows 7 laptop. Both mice worked fine. But neither mice will work with the Pi 400 or on my two Windows 10 laptops. Even on the Old Win 7 computer, they worked for a few minutes and then stopped working.

So it is curious why my old Logitech mouse always works on the Pi 400 and all of my Win 7 and Win 10 computers but both official Pi mice do not work on the Pi 400 nor on the Win 10 computers and only for a while on the Win 7 computer. i wonder if they draw too much current }(just a guess).

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Bill Hayes

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Bill,

This is totally weird behavior. If this were a power limitation (which would be weird because it is just a mouse) adding a powered hub would be a good way to test these raspberry pi mice with your windows machines or Pi 400.

Did you flash the Pi 400 with the full version of Pi OS? eg. The console only version would not necessarily have mouse support.

If you want to try a few more troubleshooting commands on the Pi 400 to determine what is going on with the mouse. I would suggestion using:

Code: Select all

dmesg
looking for any mouse related messages

lsusb
to see if the mouse even shows up

max_usb_current=1
modify /boot/config.txt - bump the usb current:

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”