Wifi on Pi zero 2 w dies

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
gzader

Wifi on Pi zero 2 w dies

Post by gzader »

I hope I'm posting in the correct place.

My new pi zero 2 w seems to have a wifi issue. Invoice # 2735183, Order date December 9, 2021

My wife and I have each just purchased one and they behave very differently. When the wifi gets stressed on my Pi Zero 2 W the wifi stops responding. All downloads stop receiving. VNC and SSH disconnect. Wifi (at least from the desktop) cannot be restarted.
With further testing, even a single download can cause the issue to happen. I've had it fail out as quickly as 5MB into the download.

The other zero 2 w never loses its wifi connection. So I can continue to use ssh and vnc even if I flood it with download data. I've had it running for multiple days trying to cause the same issue.

Based on the two units using the same sd card, adafruit power supply, cables, etc. I suspect it's a hardware issue.

Is there a test you'd like me to try or can we arrange an exchange. I know it's out of stock so I realize I might have to wait a bit.

Thanks for your help!

blakebr

Re: Wifi on Pi zero 2 w dies

Post by blakebr »

Hello,

I too have noticed that the Zero 2 W WiFi is not as robust as the Zero W WiFi.
Interested to see what the solution is.

Bruce

gzader

Post by gzader »

Can anyone from support give a reply? If I'm posting in the wrong area, can you tell me which forum I should post in?
This unit does not behave like my other, I believe it is defective.

Thanks.

blakebr

Post by blakebr »

Hello,

I am going to solder one of these onto one of my Zero 2W's and connect an antenna to see if it improves things.
IPEX IPX UFL SMD SMT Solder for PCB Mount Socket Jack Female RF from China via eBay.
They are still 'in the mail.' I will post how things go.

An UGLY option is to solder a 28mm wire to the pad where the above connector would go and make the jumper to connect it. 28mm is the 1/4 wave whip antenna for 2.4 GHz. That is what is in the ears on your WiFi router. Coax up into the plastic shell then 28mm of exposed central conductor. The 2.4GHz/5.0 GHz are a bit fancier. 84mm aka 3/4 wave length is a bit better but generally not worth the effort.

Bruce

gzader

Post by gzader »

I've seen some great antenna mods, you should end up with a much better signal.

I've given up on the wifi working. It's not an issue of signal for me, as it gets a great signal, the wifi just locks up after a short amount of data goes through it. It's died from simple VNC running mostly idle to as much as 100MB of data going through, but eventually the wifi always locks up.

I've got a usb network adapter that I'm going to try next. That will give the zero 2 w a lot more use cases at least. I suppose the return shipping would have killed most of the value of returning this for any credit anyway.

blakebr

Post by blakebr »

Hello,

I found a great USB to Ethernet adapter. So I ordered two more. Then I found out that they all have the same MAC address. Best laid plans... :-(

Good luck.

Bruce

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

@gzader: I think you have done all I would have suggested so contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and they will get you a different one. The poster is correct in that the pi zero is not as robust but the Pi is quite susceptible to mishandling being a computer without a shell to protect it.

gzader

Post by gzader »

Thanks Franklin, I'll do that next.

Bruce, care to share what you bought? I'd love to avoid it! Also, when you finish your project, care to post a pic?

I tested out the wired lan yesterday. It worked very well. I sent a stupid amount of data at the pi and it lived through all of it.

blakebr

Post by blakebr »

Hi,

These are the WiFi connectors I bought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373735994399

This is the USB to Ethernet device I bought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/351413958219
Caution! All I received had the same MAC address so if you use more than one it will cause conflicts on your local network.

Be aware that AdaFruit will not support these items. They only support what they sell. I know the Ethernet adapter works with the Raspberry Pi Zero W and Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W that AdaFruit sells, I am using it. AdaFruit does not sell or support the WiFi antenna connector.

Bruce

P.S. I received the following warning:
Forum rules
Talk about AdaFruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

gzader

Post by gzader »

Sorry about the warning and thank you for posting.
I suspect the Zero 2 W will go through a revision or two. I'm looking forward to see how it ends up.
Good luck on the wifi upgrade!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”