Software Issues with Joy Bonnet.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
smitpa

Software Issues with Joy Bonnet.

Post by smitpa »

I just updated my Retropi image to 4.7.1
I have installed the joy bonnet software.
The commands entered were
cd ~
sudo apt-get install python3-pip
sudo pip3 install --upgrade adafruit-python-shell
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafr ... -bonnet.py
sudo python3 joy-bonnet.py

On the installation of the python3-pip there are many files not installing due to the change to bullseye from buster. On the second run through it says all packages are up to date.
At this point symptoms are identical to the post about Re-No response to joy bonnet.
The software is running. cat /etc/rc.local | grep joyBonnet.py and ps -ef | grep joyBonnet.py give the expected responses.
pi@retropie:~ $ cat /etc/rc.local | grep joyBonnet.py
cd /boot;python3 joyBonnet.py &
pi@retropie:~ $ ps -ef | grep joyBonnet.py
pi 1472 838 0 23:22 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto joyBonnet.py
This has been tried on a pi zero and a pi zero w.
I have also written a new sd card to verify that the issue is not the sd card.
The joy bonnet has also been subbed out with another unit to eliminate the off chance of the old unit having been plugged in one pin off on the header.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Software Issues with Joy Bonnet.

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Code: Select all

pi@retropie:~ $ ps -ef | grep joyBonnet.py
pi 1472 838 0 23:22 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto joyBonnet.py
This is returning the grep command itself, not the actual running python script. So it seems like something has changed to prevent the script from running. Make sure you've rebooted.

You can also sanity check things by just running the joyBonnet.py script interactively and see if returns errors, or runs as expected, etc.

smitpa

Post by smitpa »

I have ran a sudo apt update and have taken the options to allow it to use the old repositories.
Also have ran a sudo apt full-upgrade.
Running the installer script now gives an error.
JOY /bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
I ran raspi-config and have been unable to change the localization.
I have checked the contents of the rc.local file and it checks out.
ps -ef still does not show a joyBonnet.py process.

smitpa

Post by smitpa »

And yes I've rebooted.

adafruit_support_carter

I ran raspi-config and have been unable to change the localization.
This sounds like something fundamental to the OS is out of sorts.

What OS image were you starting with? What old distribution repositories did you enable?

smitpa

Post by smitpa »

I started with a stock current retropie image for the pi zero and Pi 1 right off the retropie site.
This is the 2nd try at installing this and the other system had the same issue.
This is a buster installation. The whole idea was to update from stretch which I set up some years ago. (stock retropie image from 2017)
I used rpi imager to overwrite the micro sd card. Every thing I'm working on today is on a second system starting with a new 32 g sd card. And yes running sudo python3 joy-bonnet.py only gives the one error.
I think I did an a sudo apt update and then sudo apt full-upgrade coming into this as I've had the same problem on a pi zero v1.3 with a wifi dongle.
I don't get it this should either be a piece of cake or a lot of other people should be having the same issues.
Last edited by smitpa on Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

smitpa

Post by smitpa »

The initial os install was via the imager program from raspberrypi.com. I then set up a wifi supplicant file and a ssh file all of which went well. I then ran the steps from the tutorial from this site to set up the joy bonnet.
I just got done with browsing the retropie site looking for this issue and finding zip. They mention the issue with localisation messing with software installs.

adafruit_support_carter

They mention the issue with localisation messing with software installs.
Can you link to this. We can't fix retropie issues. But there may be some useful information there that relates to the JoyBonnet issue.

smitpa

Post by smitpa »

This won't help much but here is the link https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Manual-Installation/
I wonder if a corrupted download is even possible with the RPI imager since it does verify the data written to the sd card.
This would explain the symptoms being identical in the two installations if it were since the OS is cached after the download.
I think the next step is going to have to be to take it from the top and start with a fresh download.

smitpa

Post by smitpa »

So I tried another install and it works until i try to install the joy bonnet SW. It's not an Adafruit problem. It's a combo of all three companies. The repository's for the Raspberry Pi Buster revision of the OS are now locked. This version of the operating system is now depreciated. Retro Pie is built over this Buster foundation. Then Adafruits Joy Bonnet driver loads over all that. The upshot of all this is for now you can't get there from here. For the present until Retro Pie builds an image over Bullseye. To set up retro pie now one will need to start with Bullseye lite edition or perhaps buster legacy. Then setup Retro pie over this followed by the joy bonnet install. The issue with the localisation was my fault trying to do the initial setup over ssh and in a small window I believe I had two locales selected.

smitpa

Post by smitpa »

Well setting up the Retropie software over buster didn't work. The emulation station desktop was not fully installed due to calls to Buster repositories. Again not Adafruits problem. I did prove the joy bonnet works as I was able to set it up in Buster and it worked. Since I'm this deep into this I'm going to try the Buster legacy light edition.

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks for the additional updated information. I think the general issue as you stated. There are a lot of changes in the switch from Buster to Bullseye that are still being worked through.

sunsing

Post by sunsing »

is there an answer to this question yet? Right now it's just good for Retropie standalone. I want to use this under buckeye. It's very odd to have a new product with no compatibility with the current release.

Is there any documented way to use the joy bonnet as a mouse?

adafruit_support_carter

Which question? If RetroPie is having issues installing with latest Raspberry Pi OS, we'd look to RetroPie to fix their install process to work with the latest OS release. It's common for there to be a period of time when things are generally broken with new OS releases as various project maintainers work to update things.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”