Error: Noir Camera not showing?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
lanewsa

Error: Noir Camera not showing?

Post by lanewsa »

Hi.

Just received a Raspberry Pi NoIR Camera Board v2 - 8 Megapixels. I initially connected it to a Zero 2W, and was unable to get it to work. I then tried using it with a RPi 4, and the same result. The scenario is:

Logged-in to Pi as user "pi" in desktop mode.

Opened a new terminal window

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ libcamera-hello
[0:00:50.932708228] [1122]  INFO Camera camera_manager.cpp:293 libcamera v0.0.0+3156-f4070274
ERROR: *** no cameras available ***
pi@raspberrypi:

This message pops up on both the RPi 4 and the Zero 2W.

A window pops up, is visible for half-a-second or so, and then disappears.

Are there any tips/tricks that I might be missing to get the camera to work with either/both the RPi4 and Zero2W?

Many thanks.

lanewsa

Re: Error: Noir Camera not showing?

Post by lanewsa »

UPDATE:

I can use the "older" command-line tools like raspistill to capture an image, but libcamera is not working as I would expect.

When I use raspi-config, under Interface Options, I see a change in the menu selection... Earlier I used to see an option to enable the camera. Now I see an option to enable "legacy" camera... Not sure what that means, but that's the only option I have. Perhaps an expert can help me understand this.

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 5.10.63-v7l+ #1488 SMP Thu Nov 18 16:15:28 GMT 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux
$ 

lanewsa

Re: Error: Noir Camera not showing?

Post by lanewsa »

FURTHER UPDATE:

I used raspi-config to explicitly disable legacy camera. After reboot, libcamera APIs work.

It wasn't obvious to me that using legacy camera would cause issues with libcamera. Now I know!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”