DC MOTOR BONNET 4280 NO MOUSE OR KEYBOARD

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
SPACEMAN_X1

DC MOTOR BONNET 4280 NO MOUSE OR KEYBOARD

Post by SPACEMAN_X1 »

I recently purchased an Adafruit DC & Stepper Motor Bonnet Product ID: 4280 for Raspberry Pi 4B, 8MB

I downloaded and followed the PDF instructions from the product page. I wired up a 12V. DC motor and have a 5a 12VDC power source connected.

I loaded all the software per the PDF and ran the test code per the PDF in Mu. The motor jumped for a second and my Pi locked up and the mouse and keyboard are now not functional. I removed the bonnet from the pi and attempted multiple reboots to no avail of getting the keyboard or mouse working (pi still boots). I checked the voltage on all the USB ports show nominal ~5V. I restored the backup I had to my SD card, no luck.

So I don't know what happened but I cannot do anything in raspbian to even begin troubleshooting with no mouse or keyboard. Please help I am dead in the water. thanks.

Franklin97355

Re: DC MOTOR BONNET 4280 NO MOUSE OR KEYBOARD

Post by Franklin97355 »

One problem could be mounting the bonnet a pin too far. You can try connecting to the pi using a remote terminal on your computer, what os are you on?

SPACEMAN_X1

Post by SPACEMAN_X1 »

Thank you. Don't understand "mounting the bonnet a pin to far". If your concern is that somehow the back of the board was touching the Pi to cause a short there is plenty of clearance, at least 1/4" as I am using extended headers.

My OS is Raspbian that came installed on the pie, Linux system. My pc is win7. Sounds like I need SSH installed but I have not located an installation file download. If you have suggestions/process to do this I would appreciate it.

SPACEMAN_X1

Post by SPACEMAN_X1 »

I was able to SSH into the pi. I ran sudo apt update to verify the system was updated. I also noticed prior to doing this during the boot process i am getting a error "[1.753029] bcrm-pcie fd500000.pcie : link down". The only information I can find on this topic suggests the USB ports are dead most likely due to a VL805 USB chip. Do you have any other information or ideas on what to do?

thanks.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Now that you are able SSH in and access a command line, try this check. Once SSH'd in, run the following command:

Code: Select all

dmesg -w
That will show the kernel messages and also any new messages that come in. After running the command, try plugging / unplugging devices into the USB ports. See if any messages are generated.

SPACEMAN_X1

Post by SPACEMAN_X1 »

Completed. No messages show when plugging a mouse or keyboard into any of the usb ports.

Getting these sort of messages, don't know if these are normal or not.

[ 380.720449] bcmgenet fd580000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control off
[ 381.760318] bcmgenet fd580000.ethernet eth0: Link is Down
[ 384.880465] bcmgenet fd580000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control off
[ 385.920384] bcmgenet fd580000.ethernet eth0: Link is Down

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you can post a photo of how its all connected - did you maybe power 12V into the pi by accident

SPACEMAN_X1

Post by SPACEMAN_X1 »

No. before connecting any power the board was attached to the pi. Wires were installed, then the power supply wiring for the motors motors attached and turned on. Everything was powered up and USB's working fine, it was after executing the motor code which made the motors move for a short time <1s, that the usb's died.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

sure, can post a photo - but the motor hat doesnt connect to the USB port at all so not sure what happened

SPACEMAN_X1

Post by SPACEMAN_X1 »

Post a photo of the hat on the Pi?

Motor hat on the Pi, Mouse and keyboard were connected to the USB's. System locked after sending the motor command. After the code executed no response from the Pi.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

What is the spec of the motor?

SPACEMAN_X1

Post by SPACEMAN_X1 »

Hi,

It's a small hobby motor, 12VDC brushed, I don't have a specification sheet but it is about 3/4" in diameter and 1" long. I had a 2 amp fuse inline with the motor and the power supply which I figured was adequate as the board specs say peak current is 3amps.

I also forgot to ask what do you want a photo of? How the board was attached to the Pi? I have disconnected everything during troubleshooting the Pi but I can send a Pic how the board was interfaced.

thanks.

SPACEMAN_X1

Post by SPACEMAN_X1 »

Sent my Pi in to be tested, the USB chip was toasted. I suppose I will try another suppliers motor driver after I save up funds for a new Pi. :(

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”