HyperPixel Screen Seemingly Broken

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
MediumDalton

HyperPixel Screen Seemingly Broken

Post by MediumDalton »

Hello,

Wish my first post here was for a better reason. Unfortunately, I think my new screen is dead. I recently got a Pimoroni HyperPixel - 4.0" Hi-Res Display for Raspberry Pi - Non-Touch PID: 3932 to pair with my new Raspberry Pi 400. Order #2861216-1998418356. Order Date June 7, 2022. An Adafruit CyberDeck Hat is connecting the Pi 400 to the screen.

The attached photo is how the screen looked when I got it working on the latest Pi OS build. The image is coming in totally wrong: colors are wildly off, the bottom of the screen is at the top and the top at the bottom (the orientation is correct - for lack of better words, there is a split in the middle of the screen and the “bottom” of the screen is above it while the “top” of the screen is below), the left side of the screen is displaying solid colors and when you hover the mouse near them it changes, and there’s a persistent vignette around the edge of the screen. I’m not super familiar with hardware failure on a screen, but this seems to be it.

I left it sitting like this while I googled the behavior on my main computer, and after a minute or two I started to smell electronics burning. I quickly figured out it was the screen - the black edge on the left side of the face of the screen was extremely hot, hot enough to warp the material on the front of it, which you can see in the attached photo.

It’s now unplugged and put away. I reached out to the support email for support and a replacement if necessary, and was subsequently sent here. If there’s anything I can do to troubleshoot this, please let me know. Otherwise, I’d like a replacement, if possible.

Thank you for reading, and thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,
Dalton
Attachments
528112DC-B869-4AA5-A16A-E5D10885ECD4.png
528112DC-B869-4AA5-A16A-E5D10885ECD4.png (946.93 KiB) Viewed 170 times

mikeysklar

Re: HyperPixel Screen Seemingly Broken

Post by mikeysklar »

Normally Pimoroni handles their support for troubleshooting and replacement of their components. If you don't mind contacting them via forum, discord or web form that would help us out. If you get stuck please get back to us and we will resolve this.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/pages/contact-us

MediumDalton

Re: HyperPixel Screen Seemingly Broken

Post by MediumDalton »

Thanks for the quick and helpful response! I’ll get in touch with them.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”