Pi 2 Compatibility Updates

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
pylon

Re: Pi 2 Compatibility Updates

Post by pylon »

I got the display running with notro's fbtft kernel on a Pi 2. Unfortunately the touch input is not included there. I tried to find the source code for it but it seems you haven't open sourced it yet, at least I cannot find the file in your adafruit-rpi-fbtft and adafruit-raspberrypi-linux github repos. Am I looking for it at the wrong place? Where can I find the ft6x06_ts files?

joelmaranhao

Post by joelmaranhao »

Thanks for the great software support.

Take your time! Looking forward to trying the 2.8" PiTFT on RPi v2

Cheers!

(Looks like there is no easy way to subscribe to a thread other than leaving a message)

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please be patient! We're still working.

Please don't post "are we there yet" on this thread. Let's leave it as clean as possible for people subscribed to it.

There is a 'subscribe topic' button at the lower left of the thread page

tictag

Post by tictag »

Admins, please block this thread to forum member posts. There're a lot of people waiting for updates in this thread that don't want to listen to general chit-chat - there's a whole forum out there for that! Techies...you might want to consider at least a weekly post keeping us all up to date with progress. For example, I would have loved to see Lady Ada's 2200hrs and very sleepy YouTube post (bless you darling) about getting the PiTFT working posted in this thread.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

OK after 3 weeks of unending discoveries about device tree overlays, mkknlimage blessing, IRQ differences in the BCM2709 we now have a beta.
I've unlocked this thread. PLEASE ONLY TEST IF YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A WORKING PITFT AND PI! Keep this thread focused on debugging the *package* not your power supply ifyouknowhatimean ;)

https://blog.adafruit.com/2015/03/09/ne ... ry-it-out/

This package also works on Pi 1's *except* we still havent tested capacitive touch on Raspi Version 1's (the ones with I2C 0 instead of 1 on the header)

known: backlight control has changed, and isnt documented yet. 3.5" tft has rotated to match the 2.8 alignment. there's an auto-calibration helper here https://github.com/adafruit/PiTFT_Extras

darksheep

Post by darksheep »

Hi , I tried it and it worked with out a problem with my 3.5 pitft and a fresh copy of rasbain. Even the touch works well , just need to calibrate it some how its a bit off.

One thing I wanted to ask is how can I get it to show the desktop on the Pitft ?

Also how do we use this calibration helper ?

Thank you for you good work

googly_eyes

Post by googly_eyes »

OK, so I followed the instructions on a brand new install of the latest Raspbian, did an update/upgrade, and an rpi-update.

The scripts and instructions seem to work fine. Upon reboot, I see the console text on the 3.5″ display, but the desktop doesn't show up on the small display, only on the HDMI output.

I tried removing the HDMI cable and rebooting, but still the only thing I see on the mini display is the console text and then an underline in the upper left of the now black display.

let me know if you need anything from my rpi to help you debug.

googly_eyes

Post by googly_eyes »

Oh, and I tried this on a rpi 2.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

try

sudo mv /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf ~
export FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1
startx
or
startx -- -dpi 60

to start up x on the pitft

to auto-cal:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafr ... uch_cal.py
run on your pi with " sudo ./pitft_touch_cal.py "

bpb

Post by bpb »

Worth noting here: If you have the helper package installed, the calibration utility should also be available with

Code: Select all

sudo adafruit-pitft-touch-cal

googly_eyes

Post by googly_eyes »

OK, that worked. I now see the desktop on the piTFT.

Will this work from now on, or do I have to set my pi to boot to the console and do the startx every time??

BTW there was no fbturbo file.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

CPUFixrMan

Post by CPUFixrMan »

"BTW there was no fbturbo file."

I thought so at first, as well, but located it in /home/pi.

I created this quick script that sets FRAMEBUFFER= and launches X, and called it pitft-x.sh

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
export FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1
startx -- -dpi 60
~# chmod 755 pitft-x.sh

and launch using

~# ./pitft-x.sh

googly_eyes

Post by googly_eyes »

Bingo! the export command and following https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... s-on-pitft worked like a charm.

Thanks for the help.

camix

Post by camix »

Pre new helper configuration script there was an adafruit.conf file that I could configure to change the screen orientation (landscape or portrait). How can this accomplished now?

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”