Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

motor compatibility with Adafruit DC&Stepper motor hat for p
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

motor compatibility with Adafruit DC&Stepper motor hat for p

by blro on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:27 pm

I have purchased the adafruit DC & Stepper motor hat for the PI2 and would like to know:

1. Would it be compatible with a motor 33GB-520 DC 12V (you can see it here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi ... 6.html?s=p ) motor requiring a continuous current of 100mA
2. Would the 12 VDC 1000mA regulated switching power adapter supply the necessary current for this motor and be compatible with this hat?

Tia,

blro

blro

Re: motor compatibility with Adafruit DC&Stepper motor hat f

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:34 am

Yes. That motor and supply combination should work fine with the Hat.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mot ... our-motors

adafruit_support_bill

by blro on Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:13 pm

Thanks for your quick response.

blro

by blro on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:21 pm

As stated in an earlier post thanks for the quick response.

I completed the crawler build utilizing the motors and power supply for the MotorHat noted above, wrote a pygtk interface with embedded video for motion control. Now it is time for phase 2 - going mobile. I would now like to cut the "umbilical" cords and power the Pi2 and Hat/motors from "onboard" batteries.

I am consider using the "Adafruit USB Battery Pack for Raspberry Pi - 4400mAh - 5V @ 1A" for the Pi2 and an "Adafruit 8 x AA battery holder with 5.5mm/2.1mm Plug and On/Off Switch" utilizing NiMH AA batteries to power the MotorHat and attached motors. My obvious question: Is this a winning combo to power the Pi2 and MotorHat and these motors? I feel the USB battery pack will work but my concern is with the power supply for the Hat and motors. I had read that there might be a need for some of heat sync on the HAT because of motor power draw but I can't find that reference. Also would this 8X holder provide sufficient power for sufficient time to drive the crawler. Any other concerns I should have regarding powering the motors?

Any suggestions welcomed/appreciated.

blro

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:59 pm

That combination sounds workable. The 8xAA pack will put out about 12v and will easily supply enough current for those motors.

adafruit_support_bill

by blro on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:10 pm

Again, thanks for the quick turnaround. I am ordering Adafruit USB battery pack now. I already had the 8X w/o batteries.

Just to clarify - just plug/wire the 8X into the MotorHat. No need for any type of regulator.

blro

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:06 pm

No. Batteries are a fairly stable voltage source. As long as the pack output is suitable for the motors, there is no need for further regulation.

adafruit_support_bill

by blro on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Well I cut the umbilical cord(s) and the crawler is now truly mobile with the above battery sources. I am learning a lot about tank motion control and have had to make adjustments to track operation and am still doing so. This is/has been fun.

I am currently using a mounted Logitech camera but it is just too bulky so I would like to go with the Adafruit Pi cameras. I read the documentation but they seem to be primarily for use with the Raspian OS. I am using Ubuntu's Mate (since I am already quite familiar with Ubuntu). The documentation talks about allocating memory to the GPU through raspi.config and there are other adjustments/software needed. Is this camera something that can be used on other OSs? Anyone have any install/config tips for other OSs?

blro

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:48 pm

I'm afraid we don't have any information about camera support in other operating systems.

The camera uses a separate memory bus from the usual GPIO pins, so any OS that supports the camera will need a kernel module to handle the communication. An OS that does support the camera will probably say so explicitly.

adafruit_support_mike

by blro on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Too bad about OS support for the camera, but on the brighter side here is a video of the crawler using Adafruit's Pi2, MotorHat, and battery packs/sources: http://www.usefulramblings.org/?page_id=5331 Scroll to the very bottom of the page for the video of the mobile crawler.

blro

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:34 pm

Nice looking robot! Thanks for posting.

adafruit_support_bill

by blro on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:16 pm

Can you tell me why the Adafruit_MotorHat.py file forces a "speed" range between 0 and 255? Definitely not a show stopper but curious.

blro

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:53 pm

That library was derived from the original Motor Shield library which has 8-bit resolution on the PWM duty cycle.

adafruit_support_bill

by blro on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:55 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:That library was derived from the original Motor Shield library which has 8-bit resolution on the PWM duty cycle.

Thanks.

I have modified a python script to operate a robotic tank using a Game Controller and an AdafruitMotorHat. This modification is in keeping with the license agreement on the other site. You can down load it here: http://www.usefulramblings.org/?page_id=5331 - if you wish. I also have 2 videos of the tank being controlled by the Game Controller and AdafruitMotorHat. And this time the videos work. :>)

blro

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:54 am

Nice build! Thanks for posting your results.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.