Enclosure for HDMI 4 Pi: 5" Display

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
bzander

Enclosure for HDMI 4 Pi: 5" Display

Post by bzander »

I just ordered a HDMI 4 Pi: 5" Display (along with my first Raspberry Pi !) and would like to put it in a nice enclosure. I've looked around and can't seem to find anything. Can someone point me to a possible case? (or something very easy to build).
Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Enclosure for HDMI 4 Pi: 5" Display

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'm afraid we don't have anything in the shop. Someone in the community might have suggestions though.

Pete_Repeat

Post by Pete_Repeat »

Old thread. But are there more detailed drawings of this screen so I can create a 3D printed enclosure for it?

I am waiting on the screen and would like to make an enclosure before it arrives.

I bought the HDMI 5" with touch version.

adafruit_support_mike

All the documentation we have for them is on the product page or in the tutorial.

Pete_Repeat

Post by Pete_Repeat »

Thanks. I couldn't see enough dimensions to create a 3d model. There were limited dimensions only that I noticed. I've found a project elsewhere since that had somethiyi could work from though.

Pete_Repeat

Post by Pete_Repeat »

For some reason I can't see how to create a new thread so posting here as there is no other way I can see if getting support. Is this because I ama new member? This wouldnt make sense but for the life of me can't see a new thread button.

I have setup a Intel Compute Stick to have 800x480 at 59Hz and it works on my desktop monitor.

But there is no signs of life from the 5 inch screen.

I see a green light for power. I see the touch screen red light flashing and it flashes faster when touch is given.

Byt there is no sign of a picture nor does the video light ever flash or stay lit.

Have I got a dud screen or am I doing something wrong? I had no problem with another screen and the picture shows in my desktop monitor when set at the resolution of this screen.

adafruit_support_mike

Do you have a RasPi you can use to test the display?

We haven't tested the HDMI displays with other video sources, so there may be some kind of compatibility issue. The RasPi is our known-working configuration.

Pete_Repeat

Post by Pete_Repeat »

It says plug and play for desktops and laptops and I know the pc is outputting the native resolution. Doesn't the screen have a calibration for the touchscreen that runs on windows?

I was lead to believe it would work and really need it to due to deliverables so here's to hoping.

I wish I had a raspberry pi to test it with but only have laptops, desktops and other microprocessors (arduino and esp8266).

Pete_Repeat

Post by Pete_Repeat »

Could it be a refresh rate? Any idea what refresh rate a raspberry pi outputs at this resolution?

Pete_Repeat

Post by Pete_Repeat »

Also, shouldn't it display something when the power is plugged in? Even if it's just the back lights turning on?

adafruit_support_mike

Refresh rate could be part of the problem. Most HDMI modes use 60Hz rather then 59Hz, and that's enough to make a difference.

Pete_Repeat

Post by Pete_Repeat »

Thanks for your reply. I bought another screen that is the same adafruit 5 inch screen but from another seller and this screen works fine.

So it appears I was sent a faulty screen. Wasted a lot of time, but at least I have something now.

Lucky there was another supplier that had the screen in stock so recieved it today. The original supplier was an official distributor but didn't have any in stock so couldn't wait for a return.

adafruit_support_mike

Comparison tests are good confirmation, thank you.

Send a note containing a link to this page to [email protected]. The folks there will get you a replacement display or arrange a refund, as you prefer.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”