USB Adapter for Pi Zero

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
AnneBarela
Learn User Page

USB Adapter for Pi Zero

Post by AnneBarela »

Would product "Tiny OTG Adapter - USB Micro to USB PRODUCT ID: 2910" work to adapt both the OTG and the regular USB ports? I'd like to use a USB keyboard on the regular port, a "USB/Serial Converter - FT232RL PRODUCT ID: 18" on the OTG port if possible (avoiding a USB hub, power via the 5V pin). Thanks!

alphanumeric

Re: USB Adapter for Pi Zero

Post by alphanumeric »

One of the Micro USB ports is for power in, the other is the OTG port? Unless I'm missing something? I don't think the power port can be used to connect a peripheral like a keyboard..

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yeah, that's one of the wonderful side effects of using micro-USB connectors for power cables. We now have a world where devices with identical connectors behave differently.

The Zero's power jack doesn't have any connections for the D+/D- pins, only 5v and GND. If you want to connect more than one USB device to the Zero, you'll need an external hub.

alphanumeric

Post by alphanumeric »

Yeah, its a USB jack solely for convenience. So you can use your USB phone charger as a power pack. I see what the OP was thinking though, it would have been cool if it worked the other way too. As an actual USB port. I do believe the SOC doesn't support that, so that would mean more components on the board and maybe a bigger board, for a bigger price, etc, etc.

HenriZ

Post by HenriZ »

The SoC does support it, it's a matter of wiring. Are you sure the 'power' USB port has no alternate function? Because I'm almost sure it does, although not in the way you guys would want it. You could say it's a 'client USB port'. If you boot up the Pi having that port connected with a so called A/A cable to a PC, you can see the CPU on the USB bus of that PC.

adafruit_support_mike

As far as I can tell from looking at the board, the USB jack's D+ and D- pins aren't connected to anything. It doesn't matter what the chip will support if you don't have any traces to carry the signals.

topherson

Post by topherson »

I recently purchased a Tiny OTG Adapter and Miniature WiFi Module for use with the piZero. There seems to be a problem with one or the other of these devices (I suspect the Miniature WiFi Module) because and can't get them to fit together. I have an existing USB WiFi module that the Tiny OTG Adapter plugs into just fine. I can also plug USB sticks in the Tiny OTG Adapter without issue. I can also plug the Miniature WiFi Module into a hub and any number of USB ports, but they will not fit together and I don't want to force them. Upon closer inspection of the "plug end" of the wifi module where one would expect to see a rectangle. I see a very slight difference in the length of the long sides. Kind of like looking at the micro usb power plug where one side is longer than the other. although not to that extreme, just very slightly. The weird thing is that I bought a pair of each and my experience is the same with both pairs. Please advise.
Photo Top - OTG & Mini WiFi from Adafruit
Photo Bot - OTG from Adafruit & Wifi I had on hand
Attachments
File Jun 08, 11 14 16 AM.jpeg
File Jun 08, 11 14 16 AM.jpeg (870.46 KiB) Viewed 334 times

paulf8080

Post by paulf8080 »

The two USB connectors was gotcha, for me. I reversed the plugs. It powers up because the OTG 5v by spec is bi-directional. I had no mouse, though(no D+/-, like stated).

adafruit_support_mike

@topherson: Go ahead and use some force to fit the Wifi dongle and OTG adapter together. You're probably seeing the effects of a slight difference in tolerances on the parts that interlock.

Don't worry about damage. At this point, that will be my fault.

topherson

Post by topherson »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:@topherson: Go ahead and use some force to fit the Wifi dongle and OTG adapter together. You're probably seeing the effects of a slight difference in tolerances on the parts that interlock.

Don't worry about damage. At this point, that will be my fault.
I used ___ force and now they fit. Hooray Mike!

One pair has been verified functional... will get to other pair and let you know if it doesn't.

adafruit_support_mike

Glad to hear they're working!

ScoutIngenieur

Post by ScoutIngenieur »

With my apologies for hijacking this topic, but can you connect the Zero to a powered USB hub with both micro-USB connectors?

Such that the powered hub powers the Zero via the dedicated power connection, and the Zero OTG connection goes back to the hub for normal USB split?

adafruit_support_mike

Yes, that will work.

The Zero's power jack doesn't have any data signals, so the Zero will take power from the USB hub without messing up the USB topology.

ScoutIngenieur

Post by ScoutIngenieur »

Nice! That will help keeping things compact and a bit more ordered. :-)

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”