Due to high demand, expect some shipping delays at this time - orders may not ship for up to 2-3 business days.

PITFT and RPi 3
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by wbarber69 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:07 pm

I should add that I used the pitft 2.8" from the pigrrl 2 build

wbarber69

by senkun on Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:01 pm

wbarber69 wrote:...

when all/most of the pertinent info is already in the tutorial, just burdened by all the extra unnecessary steps.

install rasbian jesse (or jesse lite)
run update and upgrade, then install rpi-update
run rpi-update and wait for firmware install to finish
*if using retropie install it manually here*
install fbcp
make neccessary changes to config.txt
*change x11 settings now if not using retropie*

Thank you for the pointers. After wading through countless posts and outdated "guides" all over the web, I finally managed to get my tft working with retropie, and it didn't need a half hour kernel recompile and a locked in bootloader, as you rightly pointed out.

Didn't even need rpi-update (can't get that to work due to certificate error) but since all kernel versions from 3.18.9+ and later use the DeviceTree, all I had to do was find the correct DT overlay to add to my /boot/config.txt, install fbcp, reboot and voila!

senkun

by adafruit2 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:11 pm

This thread is about getting full PiTFT support for Pi 3 - we updated all the PiTFT images and tutorials yesterday. If you want to talk about retropie, or fbcp, start a new thread, its not relevant to the topic at hand and we're locking this thread.

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.