Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.
0

PITFT and RPi 3
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by nords on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:42 pm

I am also trying to get a Pi 3 and a 2441 TFT working together with a Raspbian release.
I found this thread a bit hard to digest. Too many suggestions that someone thought could work but others couldn't get to work.
If an Adafruit person could post a tested step by step with links it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

nords
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:56 pm

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by adafruit2 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:56 pm


adafruit2
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19225
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by CopterWurst on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:50 pm

With the all-in one image is the PiTFT 3.5" working but i don´t want to use the raspbian image.
Is it possible to get the TFT working for other distributions?

CopterWurst
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by adafruit2 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:32 pm

no

adafruit2
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19225
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by helmarw on Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:59 pm

adafruit2 wrote:hiya thank you for your patience! i spent a bit of time on this today (was a cold sunday :)
we'll be re-genning the pkg and image. for now the straight-forwardest way is

1) burn the PiTFT SD image or install pitft onto your Pi Jessie as normal
2) download and unzip https://adafruit-download.s3.amazonaws. ... atekit.zip copy those files into /boot or plug the SD card into a computer and copy/replace the older files with the update
3) reboot
4) profit!

please try it out! let me know if it does or doesn't work - again we will be making new pkgs but this is a quick fix!


i uses most recent noobs rasbian (on a rpi 3) and got a pitft-2.8-reistive working. but no luck with the 3.5 for now.
i used the files you postet and replaced them in /boot
doesnt work with 3.5", pitft28-resitive in the config.txt is fine except that only a small portion of the lcd is beeing used
but if i change it to pitft35-resistive fb1 does not get recognized during boot

how das your config.txt look like ?

any other suggestions ?
thn
Helmar

helmarw
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:06 am

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by mooseheadm5 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:06 pm

So I actually got this working pretty well after several dozen tries with different methods. I installed it basically by following this guide:

https://learn.adafruit.com/running-open ... opie-setup

After flashing the SD the first time, I copied the files in the Pi3update kit then continued on with the install. I fiddled with some settings, and I'll have to go back through and see what I've done differently from the directed install if this doesn't work for other people. So far I have it working such that if the HDMI is plugged in, it runs on both screens. If not, it runs on the PITFT. Controller works, keyboard works. The touchscreen doesn't play so well with the emulators, need to work on that.

mooseheadm5
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:01 pm

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by helmarw on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:50 pm

mooseheadm5 wrote: So far I have it working such that if the HDMI is plugged in, it runs on both screens. If not, it runs on the PITFT.


i got the 3.5" PiTFT finally working, but im interested also to have its working in parallel with the HDMI.
could you explain shortly how you did this ?
or point me in the right direction since is a little bit off-topic if you like

helmarw
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:06 am

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by rodsten on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:47 am

CopterWurst wrote:With the all-in one image is the PiTFT 3.5" working but i don´t want to use the raspbian image.
Is it possible to get the TFT working for other distributions?

adafruit2 wrote:no


I understand that Adafruit does not support other distributions, but are you saying that it is absolutely impossible for anyone to get the PiTFT Capacitive touch screen to work on any other distribution, in particular Arch Linux? even on the RPi2? What is it about the PiTFT that makes it incompatible with all distributions other than Raspbian?

Thanks.

rodsten
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:42 pm

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by adafruit2 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:19 pm

rodsten wrote:
CopterWurst wrote:With the all-in one image is the PiTFT 3.5" working but i don´t want to use the raspbian image.
Is it possible to get the TFT working for other distributions?

adafruit2 wrote:no


I understand that Adafruit does not support other distributions, but are you saying that it is absolutely impossible for anyone to get the PiTFT Capacitive touch screen to work on any other distribution, in particular Arch Linux? even on the RPi2? What is it about the PiTFT that makes it incompatible with all distributions other than Raspbian?

Thanks.


while it is technically possible (its a kernel/module update) and Kali for sure has added the kernel - nobody that we know of has done it for other distros and its apparently not trivial! we've never used arch so we dont even know what is required.

adafruit2
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19225
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by rodsten on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:30 pm

adafruit2 wrote:
while it is technically possible (its a kernel/module update) and Kali for sure has added the kernel - nobody that we know of has done it for other distros and its apparently not trivial! we've never used arch so we dont even know what is required.


O.K. Thanks. That's good to know.

rodsten
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:42 pm

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by mooseheadm5 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:11 pm

helmarw wrote:
mooseheadm5 wrote: So far I have it working such that if the HDMI is plugged in, it runs on both screens. If not, it runs on the PITFT.


i got the 3.5" PiTFT finally working, but im interested also to have its working in parallel with the HDMI.
could you explain shortly how you did this ?
or point me in the right direction since is a little bit off-topic if you like


Once I have everything working exactly how I want, I'll post the settings in my assorted config files.

mooseheadm5
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:01 pm

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by helmarw on Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:08 am

mooseheadm5 wrote:
helmarw wrote:
mooseheadm5 wrote: So far I have it working such that if the HDMI is plugged in, it runs on both screens. If not, it runs on the PITFT.


i got the 3.5" PiTFT finally working, but im interested also to have its working in parallel with the HDMI.
could you explain shortly how you did this ?
or point me in the right direction since is a little bit off-topic if you like


Once I have everything working exactly how I want, I'll post the settings in my assorted config files.


oki thnx

helmarw
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:06 am

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by adafruit2 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:07 pm

Images have been made, all tutorials now have Pi 1/2/3 compatible Jesse *and* Jessie Lite downloads
The PiTFT helper (the upgrader) is already Pi 3 compatible
Enjoy!

adafruit2
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19225
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by wbarber69 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:16 pm

the pigrrl tutorials do not work for pi3. i dont see any of the updated images you talk about in any of the pitft tutorials, you must mean that the apt repository has been updated? but why? the latest rasbian install for pi3 is compatible with your pitft models already, the only hard part is getting the screen to take over as the primary display using fbcp and your walkthrough for that still has you using your own repositories when all you really have to do is install fbcp and change/add the necessary parameters in /boot/config.txt i tried following your tutorials and they include a bunch of uneccessary steps that can trip you up or ultimately lead to flickering screen and multiple framebuffers being pushed by x11 and fbcp, making it unstable to use for anything other than X. I dont know why you havent thrown a little extra update on the pigrrl 2 tutorial pointing these issues out. all it says is do not use a pi3. when all/most of the pertinent info is already in the tutorial, just burdened by all the extra unnecessary steps.

install rasbian jesse (or jesse lite)
run update and upgrade, then install rpi-update
run rpi-update and wait for firmware install to finish
*if using retropie install it manually here*
install fbcp
make neccessary changes to config.txt
*change x11 settings now if not using retropie*

of coarse youll need to reboot after most major steps, but i found it a lot easier than recompiling the whole kernel that you can never update again while having to run a third party bootloader.

i have a working retropie image for the pigrrl 2 and pi3 but i only had a 16gb card to work with so its kinda big and its still uploading to google drive, i will make it available in 6 hours or so when its finished uploading if i am still awake at that time, otherwise ill post the link tomorrow.

wbarber69
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: PITFT and RPi 3

by wbarber69 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:04 pm

Here is the 16gb image I promised sorry it's so big.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByhAC ... EVwaDhlT28

wbarber69
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:18 pm

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.