Retro Pi Zero Image
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Retro Pi Zero Image

by Golddeenoh on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:33 pm

As i have seen there are a few of use other there trying to get this together and since the image for the PiGrrl 2.0 (if i could only find the word to express the excitement pertaining to this) is now available and made my other project much easier to get running. I was wondering if there is an image coming to allow the retropie/PiGrrl with screen software per-installed. I have gotten everything working on mine but get a few errors when trying to install/download the pitft helper, and since this is one of the hurtles that is making my project sit at idle as the deadline for when i present it as a gift to someone rapidly approaches i was curious as to whether this was already in the works by those with greater skills than me. (I perfer to think of myself as knowing just enough to get me in trouble)

I will try and get some pictures of my current projects up as soon as i have free time to properly document them.

Golddeenoh

Re: Retro Pi Zero Image

by adafruit2 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:58 pm

does the pigrrl2 image not work on the pi zero? i dont see why it wouldn't

adafruit2
Site Admin

by Golddeenoh on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:51 pm

the best solution is the simplest, sort of, now it gets stuck on a loop saying to press any key to stop the 5 second emulation station auto start, then just re-loops the same message. regardless of which sd card i put in it.

/usr/bin/emulationstation: Line 20: 2233 illegal instruction $es_bin "$@"

I feel i have to edit this line to get it to load ES on the pizero but i am unsure of what to modify to make it work. it works great on my pi2 but if i take the SD card out of the pie2 and put it in the zero it just loops the same message as i have posted above.

Golddeenoh

by Tempest00 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:40 am

I am having the same issue.

I have downloaded the PiGRRL 2 img, flashed it to disk and get the same message. I have check all hardware connections and they are solid. I know im running a v2 B+ but that is what it calls for in the tutorial. I have tried multiple disks and multiple downloads. Any more suggestions?

Tempest00

by adafruit2 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:45 am

could try the pigrrl 1 image

adafruit2
Site Admin

by Golddeenoh on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:16 pm

The pigrrl1 didn't work last time I tried it, has there been a new version of it created in the last few months that i missed the update on? The RetroPie SD-card Image for Raspberry Pi 1 and Pi Zero will make it operational, but it struggles with any usb exxpanders, can't find the screen cant load the pitft helper. just snow balls to a stale mate.

Golddeenoh

by Golddeenoh on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:01 pm

I have been working on doing this manually but have not been able to get it to work. I get through all of the PiTFT set up instructions and upon reboot, nothing. I lose the HDMI feed and the PiTFT doesn't display more than the back light. with the Pigrrl2 os it would boot but get to the loop, so i know the connections are good and working. I will have to keep playing with it, maybe figure out what to change on the previously mention looping file.

Golddeenoh

by Golddeenoh on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:15 pm

Solution:

Here is the image to allow it to work on a pizero, you will have to configure controls

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3fj4s1ndry3u ... 6.zip?dl=0

Thread for the guy that made the image:

http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/top ... mage-jpeg/

Golddeenoh

by Golddeenoh on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:16 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting the pictures, here is the gameboy shell modded to be a PiGrrl Zero (simple) with 3 easy access usb ports and one hidden usb port

ImageImage

You can see i struggled with the lettering for this, originally i was just going to remove the original lettering and add a custom graphic, but i couldn't get that to work so i had to redo it a few times and ended up making a rough spot in the case.

ImageImage

the notch in the top right of the battery compartment is where the hidden USB port is located.

Golddeenoh

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.