8GB Micro SD w/ Jessie Read Only

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
pedersenit

8GB Micro SD w/ Jessie Read Only

Post by pedersenit »

I just purchased an 8GB Micro SD w/ Jessie and when I tried to update it, or expand the file system, it would fail. After trying and failing in many ways to remove the Read Only property, including formatting, I have given up and decided to see what you guys have to say. I found a few similar posts. What do you suggest.

Thanks,

alphanumeric

Re: 8GB Micro SD w/ Jessie Read Only

Post by alphanumeric »

Are you plugging the uSD card into an SD card adapter? I have to plug mine into an adapter that makes it a full sized card, then plug it into my USB card reader. My adapter has a read only switch on it. If your using a similar card adapter, make sure the read only switch is in the correct position, off.

damionw

Post by damionw »

I'd like to confirm that this problem is real, having just now purchased a (new) NOOBS 8GB uSD card.

The 8GB micro SD cards (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1583) that are supposed to have NOOBS on them are unbootable by the Raspberry PI 3. Furthermore, attempts to write to the SD card fail, from multiple computers, multiple card readers, and multiple OS's

When writing from Ubuntu, the device accepts the write requests (which it doesn't when the switch is set to read only ) but no changes are committed to the disk itself, which is seen when writing files to the existing filesystem or rewriting the partition table (a la http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/blog/201 ... pberry-pi/)

In this case, the SD card cannot be used by NOOBS even if it was written correctly in the first place, since the Raspberry PI's installation procedure itself needs to write to the disk.

I'd personally suggest contacting the provider and verifying that they're not using secondhand (write limited) micro SD cards

Damion K. Wilson

damionw

Post by damionw »

Postscript:

Everything works fine with a just purchased, new 8GB microSD. The Adafruit source ones are clearly suspect

Damion K. Wilson

damionw

Post by damionw »

Does anyone know how to get this escalated into a support issue ?

I'm sure people are buying more of these things right now

Damion K. Wilson

pedersenit

Post by pedersenit »

I was pretty thorough before posting here.

I first tried the SD in my new Pi 3, when that didn't work I tried it in my Pi B and it boots properly. I had found an issue where you need to apt-get upgrade to allow it to boot on the Pi 3 (I don't know where I saw that). When I tried, the upgrade failed due to insufficient space. I tried to expand the filesystem using raspi-config and it failed. I gave up and tried to reformat. I started with the included Micro to SD adapter, but after that failed to format on OSX, Windows 7 and Ubuntu, I tried with a USB adapter with a MicroSD slot. I found a similar issue on another post in this forum and posted this.

I installed Raspbian on another SD without trouble and have since reinstalled it several times ( I'm trying to get it setup as a conference room workstation and keep killing the GUI). I know [email protected] usually refers me to the forum before replacing product so I started here.

Thanks,

pedersenit

Post by pedersenit »

Response on another thread.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=91709&start=15

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”