Bluefruit EZ-link compatible with Flora?

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
elliotjaf

Bluefruit EZ-link compatible with Flora?

Post by elliotjaf »

Hi, I'm just wondering if the Bluefruit EZ-link is compatible at all with the Flora. The method shown in this guide https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rogramming will "not work with the Flora," but I'm wondering if there's just another way to do it then.

And yes, I am aware of the module designed specifically for the Flora, but the EZ-link is the bluetooth module I have currently.

Thanks!
-Elliot

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Bluefruit EZ-link compatible with Flora?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You can't program a Flora through an EZ-Link, but you can communicate with one.

The Uno uses an ATmega328 microcontroller, which can't handle USB signals by itself. It has to rely on an external USB-to-Serial converter, and the bootloader gets its data from a Serial connection on pins 0 and 1. The EZ-Link can hijack that connection and provide an alternate source for the Serial data on pins 0 and 1.

The Flora uses an Atmega32u4, which can handle USB signals internally, so the Flora's bootloader can get its data directly from the USB jack. There's no USB-to-Serial conversion step that the EZ-Link can hijack.

Once you have code running on the Flora, it can communicate through an EZ-Link connected to its hardware Serial port, but that's different from programming.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”