Flora spontaneously shuts down and neopixel blinks red
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Flora spontaneously shuts down and neopixel blinks red

by echoplex on Thu May 18, 2017 3:49 pm

I've built a heated jacket based on this design with the exception of a Flora in place of the Lilypad and a 5V 2.4A battery pack in place of the wall adapter.

I've got it all wired up and it worked nicely for a couple days. Now, after running properly for 5-10 minutes, the device shuts down completely and the neopixel (which I've coded to shine pink at 25% brightness) will faintly blink red until I cut power with the built-in switch. I've tried a couple different batteries and there is no difference. The solder points are solid and there aren't any shorts that I can see. It doesn't matter if the jacket is worn or if it is laid motionless on a table. The code compiles properly and uploads without issue.

Does the Flora have any blink codes to help determine the problem? Does anyone have any advice on how to figure out the problem (or know what the problem is)?

echoplex

Re: Flora spontaneously shuts down and neopixel blinks red

by caitlinsdad on Fri May 19, 2017 8:00 pm

You should post a pic of your setup and particularly note how those heating pads are powered from the battery, power transistor and from the board. Depending on how things are wired up, it may be when the heating pads get warmed up, they are drawing too much power that the onboard voltage regulators are shutting down and "blowing the fuse".

caitlinsdad

Re: Flora spontaneously shuts down and neopixel blinks red

by echoplex on Sun May 21, 2017 11:53 pm

It's all been sewn into the jacket (since it seemed to work properly beforehand) but I'll see if I can get some of it exposed for a picture. It should be just as the design in that link shows though. If I'm reading the design correctly, isn't it the fet that controls the power draw of the heating pads, not the board itself? Isn't the power to the pads bypassing the board, and thus it's built-in voltage regulators?

echoplex

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.