Gemma Bootloader not working
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Gemma Bootloader not working

by alea_k on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi,

It is my first time using GEMMA and I am trying to program it. I am following the tutorial on how to start the bootloader and I am getting this error message when I upload the sample code.

avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

In the tutorial it says that this is a common error message that means that the bootloader is not running but I am pressing the button and then uploading and it still doesn't work and I need further clarification about how to fix the problem.

Thanks.

alea_k

Re: Gemma Bootloader not working

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Are you using the original GEMMA?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1222
or the newer GEMMA M0?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3501

adafruit_support_carter

by alea_k on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:25 pm

I'm using Gemma v2. I tried the repair the bootloader with the arduino uno and that worked out fine but I still can't get it to upload a sketch.

alea_k

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Trying a different USB cable would be the next step. Make sure it's not a charge only cable. The GEMMA will only enter bootloader mode if it sees a good USB connection.

adafruit_support_carter

by alea_k on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 am

I don't have another USB charger. I got a new MacBook recently and I read that USB v3 ports won't work maybe I need to use my old laptop? I don't know what version port my new computer has but I don't want to buy a new micro USB cable that may or may not work.

alea_k

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:33 am

I got a new MacBook recently and I read that USB v3 ports won't work maybe I need to use my old laptop?

Yes, that is also a concern. The Gemma V2 (and the original Trinket) are both based on a tiny processor that has a minimalistic USB software implementation. This can have issues on newer USB ports and newer operating systems. Our only solution has been to try connecting through a USB 2.0 hub.

As you suggested, try using your old laptop.

But also, we see a lot of people trying to use USB cables that are "charge only". They only have connections for the power (to allow charging) and not the data. There are no requirements for cables like this to be labeled in any special way, so it can be nearly impossible to tell by looking what you have.

adafruit_support_carter

by alea_k on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 am

I have used this micro-USB that I have to program the flora with no issues. So I don't believe it is charge only. In the future do you recommend that I purchase the newer Gemma? The M0? I am making the firewalker sneakers. If I use the newer Gemma M0 what modifications would I need to make to the firewalker code?

alea_k

by alea_k on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:16 pm

When I use my old laptop and try to enter bootloader mode the red LED lights up and doesn't go off like it did when I used my new laptop. And I get the same error message

alea_k

by adafruit_support_carter on Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:01 pm

In the future do you recommend that I purchase the newer Gemma? The M0?

In general, yes. Unless you have a specific reason to use the ATtiny85 based boards.

If I use the newer Gemma M0 what modifications would I need to make to the firewalker code?

A fair amount. It looks like the code is very specific to the ATtiny85 board.

What operating system do you have on the older laptop?

adafruit_support_carter

by velocipedal on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 pm

I am having the exact same issue with my Gemma v2. Running MacOS Sierra and using a USB cable that I know works (tested with other boards like the Flora) and a USB 2.0 hub.

velocipedal

by velocipedal on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:28 am

Same result on Linux.

velocipedal

by velocipedal on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:47 am

Alright, just tried it on a Windows 10 machine and it has become clear that the Gemma was never entering the bootloader mode on my Mac or Linux machines. What I thought was the blinky light indicating the bootloader mode was on was not it. The bootloader flash is much more intense and only lasts about 10 seconds (as I had previously read), whereas the other flashing was less bright and continuous.

Installed the Windows drivers and it works like a charm. Looks like the issue is something on the Mac/Linux end.

velocipedal

by adafruit_support_carter on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:22 am

Glad you got it working. For the Mac, it was likely a hardware issue with the port. All we can suggest there is to use a USB 2.0 hub as a work around. For linux, it's a known hit or miss situation:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... /faq#faq-2

adafruit_support_carter

by velocipedal on Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:54 am

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Glad you got it working. For the Mac, it was likely a hardware issue with the port. All we can suggest there is to use a USB 2.0 hub as a work around. For linux, it's a known hit or miss situation:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... /faq#faq-2

Yup, I was using a USB 2.0 hub and it still did not work for me, unfortunately.

velocipedal

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.